Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is creamy, flavorful and the chicken is incredibly tender. It is easily made in the Pressure Cooker with the rice at the same time. Also, check out the short recipe video attached below.
Instant Pot dinner recipes are favorite around here, because they are easy to make, and are perfect during weeknights. Like our popular IP Orange Chicken, IP General Tso, and IP Mongolian Chicken, this delicious homemade dish is full of amazing flavors.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
This Chicken Tikka Masala is the easiest way to make your favorite Indian dish at home. I have hooked on it 10 years ago when I moved to NYC. At that time, my fiance took me out to an Indian restaurant, and I fell in love with this dish.
The delicious buttery and tender chicken, full of aromatic spices in a creamy tomato sauce is still a favorite. I love making it at home and serve it with buttery rice and garlic naan, its such an indulgence.
Making Chicken Tikka Masala in the Pressure Cooker is the quickest and easiest way to enjoy it at home. The chicken turns up tender and flavorful. The best part is that you make the rice at the same time, with the pot-in-pot method.
If you have all the spices on hand, this becomes such an easy and rewarding recipe. The rice is so flaky and perfect and makes sure you use that naan to soak all the creamy goodness. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can try this recipe in the crockpot.
What is in Chicken Tikka Masala?
It is a very popular and flavorful Indian inspired recipe, that is rich and creamy. The dish consists of bite-sized pieces of juicy boneless chicken bathed in a rich, thick spiced curry sauce.
Also, unlike other Indian dishes, this recipe is not overly spicy (although you can make it spicier if you wish). The sauce is orange in color, and it usually contains a creamy ingredient like coconut cream or yogurt.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Spices used:
- Ground Cumin – is used in Mexican, Middle Eastern and Indian dishes, a little goes a long way as it has a beautiful, bold flavor.
- Turmeric – is great in recipes, but you can actually use it to fight colds as it has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Ground Coriander – always great to have on hand as it is wildly used is recipes from many cuisines.
- Garam Masala – is a blend of ground spices commonly used in India, Pakistan, and some other South Asian cuisines. I personally used it exclusively when I cook Indian dishes, so a small jar will last you a long time.
- Curry Powder – again, this is also a blend of more spices, I don’t use it a lot, so a small jar lasts us a long time.
- Ginger – can be used in a variety of recipes.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala?
For exact recipe steps and ingredient measures, please see the recipe card below. Also, watch the short video attached for an easy step by step tutorial.
- First, season the chicken with spices.
- Then, melt the butter in the Pressure Cooker using the SAUTE function. Then, add the onion, garlic, ginger, and spices. Cook and stir until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, and cook it until browned. Stir in the tomato sauce. Cover and cook under pressure.
- Lastly, add the cream and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice.
What is the difference between the Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala?
Both dishes are very similar, the only main difference lies in the way they are cooked and in the ingredients used. Butter Chicken uses a lot of butter, whereas Tikka Masala uses more masala or spices.
What is a 10 Minutes Natural Pressure Release?
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. For a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm and wait 10 minutes. After this, you open the valve and let any leftover pressure to release. Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes, and after that open the valve.
A natural release is usually used when cooking soups, meat in a large amount of sauce, pasta, or steel-cut oats. This method prevents any foam from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
Other delicious Pressure Cooker recipes:
- Orange Chicken
- Beef Stroganoff
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Mongolian Beef
- Pulled Pork
How to store it?
To refrigerate – Store leftover in an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To freeze – This dish can be easily frozen. To do so, you will have to let the chicken mixture and rice cool to room temperature, then seal in separate large zip-top plastic freezer bags. Label with the date, and freeze for up to 3-4 months, or longer if you use a deep freezer.
To thaw – Transfer the frozen meal to your refrigerator the night before you wish to use it to allow it to thaw. Add the sauce to a saucepan and reheat it to at least 165 F before you consume it. Microwave the chicken or heat it up in the saucepan, you can also put it in a hot oven until it warms up.
Tools/ingredients that I used to make the Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe:
- Instant Pot – I use it all the time. Also, I have the 6 quarts one but feel free to go with a larger version. It makes weeknight meals so much easier.
- Garlic Powder – Try to use organic seasoning and spices. I like having garlic powder on hand for seasoning purposes and also slow cooker recipes.
- Onion Powder – It is perfect to have on hand for seasoning and to create different rubs.
- Tomato Paste – I always keep Organic Tomato Paste on hand, it adds a lot of flavor and taste to any tomato dish.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is creamy, flavorful and the chicken is incredibly tender. Very easy made in the Instant Pot with the rice at the same time.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr