In this post, we will teach you How to Roast a Pumpkin. It is a very quick and easy technique and will be super handy during the holiday season. Also, by learning how to roast a squash, you will save plenty of time and money buying the store-bough pumpkin puree.
With autumn season stepping in, the homemade pumpkin recipes are some of the most desired ones on our blog. If you are looking for something special to make during the fall season, or for Thanksgiving, I strongly suggest making Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars, Moist Pumpkin Bread, or Starbucks Pumpkin Latte.
Roasted Pumpin Recipe
Roasted Pumpkin is one of my favorite dishes to do during the fall season. I mean, the squash is healthy, easy to prepare, and can be utilized in tons of dishes, or as a healthy snack. Not to mention, it is delicious and nutritious!
With plenty of pumpkins available during autumn, you should learn how to quickly roast it and utilize in various recipes, such as soups, and desserts. Also, you can quickly puree it, and make the best homemade pumpkin puree. It will taste amazingly delicious, and you will also save a lot of money by not buying it from the store.
So, if you have a sharp knife, and a few minutes of your time, roasting the squash is probably the easiest recipe you can make. Following the below steps, and you will end up with crispy squash on the outside and tender in the middle.
Also, you will have a homemade dish to utilize during the Thanksgiving season. In addition, the same steps can be applied for roasting winter squash, butternut, kabocha, or even acorn.
What do you need to make this roasted pumpkin recipe?
You will need only three ingredients:
- Sugar pumpkin: You can use other types as well. I just tend to like the sugar variety as it is sweet and flavorful.
- Coconut or avocado oil: Also, if you don’t want to use any oil, then simply use water.
- Sea salt: I love using sea salt as it gives a nice contrast of flavors. Also, you can add some brown sugar, or even cinnamon on top.
How To Roast Pumpkin?
- Preheat the oven: Set the oven to 350 degrees F. You can also preset it to a higher temperature like 400 degrees F, and the cooking time will be shorter.
- Scoop out the seeds: Using a metal spoon, gently scoop out the seeds and insides of it. Do not throw the seeds out. Keep them for roasting.
- Cut it: Then, using a sharp knife, cut it into slices about 1-inch thick.
- Bake it: Place the slices on a baking sheet. Next, drizzle some oil over the slices, and sprinkle with some sea salt. Then, bake.
How long does it take to roast a pumpkin?
At 350 degrees F, the cooking time should be around 45 to 50 minutes. This is the average cooking time for about 3-4lb pounds of pumpkin. Also, you can increase the temperature to 400 degrees F. Then, the cooking time would be reduced to about 35-40 minutes.
In addition, ensure to cut the slices evenly. This way, when you bake it, the heat is proportionate, and the cooking time is about the same.
Best pumpkin to use for roasting?
For roasting, I tend to go with smaller to medium-sized ones. Something between 2 to 5 pounds in size. They are perfect for cooking and are the most flavorful. Just remember that while the large and extra-large ones are perfect for Halloween and decorating, they should not be utilized in cooking.
The best to use would be sugar, pie, Japanese, or kabocha pumpkin.
How To Cut A Pumpkin?
- Place the pumpkin on a kitchen towel to prevent it from slipping.
- Then, using a sharp knife, insert the tip of the knife in the center. Push the blade into the pumpkin and it will naturally start to split. Cut it in half.
- Next, using a silver spoon, remove the seeds and the flesh from inside. Save the seeds for roasting.
- Lastly, cut it into smaller wedges, about 1-inch thick.
How to Make Pumpkin Puree?
Also, you can add a bit of water if the consistency is too thick. On the other hand, if it is too runny, strain the pumpkin puree in a sieve lined with cheesecloth over a bowl.
How to roast pumpkin seeds?
Pumpkin seeds are super healthy and nutritious. Roasting them is easy. Just follow the below steps:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. I like baking the seeds at a lower temperature for a little longer period. However, you can bake them at 350 degrees F as well. Just reduce the cooking time by about 10 minutes.
- Wash the seeds in a colander to ensure there is no pulp and fibers. Then, using a dry paper towel, dry them out.
- In a bowl combine the seeds, some olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste.
- Next, transfer the seeds to an oil-greased pan, and evenly spread them over the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until they get a golden color.
- Let them cool, and enjoy!
What To Do With Roasted Pumpkin?
You can eat it as is by topping the baked pumpkin with some cinnamon, honey, nutmeg, or brown sugar.
During the Thanksgiving holiday, enjoy it on:
- Remember that small to medium size pumpkins work the best for roasting.
- Also, the cooking times will vary slightly, depending on the thickness of the squash.
- You can store leftovers using an airtight container, and refrigerate them for up to 5 days.
How to Roast a Pumpkin
In this post, we will teach you How to Roast a Pumpkin. It is a very quick and easy technique and will be super handy during the holiday season.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Total time: 1 hr