This easy Homemade Catalina Dressing is perfect for salads, and taste so much better than the store-bought version. It is flavorful and ready in under 5 minutes!
Easy Catalina Salad Dressing
The best dressing is the one that is quick, easy to make with budget-friendly ingredients, and pairs with many dishes. This Homemade Catalina Dressing is just that! It is made with affordable ingredients, a breeze to make, and ready in about 5 minutes.
There is no point to buy it anymore from the store when you can easily and conveniently make it at home. The dressing itself is tomato based, so it has a slightly sweet and tangy flavor. You can play with the ingredient a bit, and adjust the spiciness or sweetness level as you please.
We usually make a larger batch at once and store it in the fridge for weeks to come. This way, it is available whenever we please. Apart from salads, you can use it as a garnish on burgers, cold pasta salads, meatloaf, steaks or even ribs. The dressing can really be used on anything and anytime.
What is the difference between Catalina and Russian dressing?
While they are both pretty similar they have some minor differences. Russian usually has chili sauce and mayonnaise in it, while Catalina is more tomato based and uses olive oil and vinegar. They are both great to use in various dishes, such as seafood, meats, or salads.
What is Catalina Dressing made of?
The ingredients for this homemade dish are easily available everywhere. You will need:
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sugar (optional)
- Paprika or cayenne pepper
- Onion powder or garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
How to make Homemade Catalina Dressing?
Once you have the ingredients ready and available, the rest is pretty simple. Simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk really well till the mixture consistency is close to desired.
Alternatively, you could use a jar with a lid or a glass bottle with a cap and combine all the ingredients in it. Then, shake well until well combined.
In addition, you could use a food blender to combine all the ingredients together. Just make sure not to over-blend the mixture. You want to have a nice and smooth texture, but not overly beaten.
As you can see, this is really a super easy and quick recipe to make. Not only will you end up with a healthier alternative to the store-bought version, but it will taste so much better without all the preservatives. Because homemade always tastes better!
How many calories are in a Catalina salad dressing?
This really varies by ingredients, but for our recipe, there are about 70 calories per serving.
What goes with Catalina Dressing?
As stated above, it can be used on just any dishes you can imagine. Apart from salads, some of our favorite ways to use it is with:
Recipe Tips and Notes
- It is best to always keep it refrigerated once prepared or used. Keep it refrigerated in a closed jar or container for up to 2 weeks.
- Red wine vinegar can be replaced with white wine vinegar.
- Also, you can use any oil type you like or have available, such as canola or vegetable oil works just as fine.
- For a spicier flavor, add some red pepper flakes to the mixture.
- In addition, you can add some dried celery flakes.
Watch recipe video:
Prep time: 5 minutes Total time: 5 mins
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- Add the vinegar, ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder to a blender. Cover and puree.
- With the blender running on low speed, open the vent in the lid and slowly add the oil and blend until combined. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to a month.