Chickpea Salad is a great recipe highlighting not only chickpeas, but also tomatoes, avocados, and cucumber. It is our favorite summer salad!
Easy Chickpea Salad Recipe
Chickpea salad can also be called garbanzo bean salad. Chickpea and garbanzo beans are basically the same thing. It is a great salad foundation that is also nutritious and rich in protein. When you combine it with avocado, tomato, and cucumber, you get one healthy and tasty meal perfect for lunch or dinner.
It is a satisfying meal in itself, that will keep you full for many hours. However, you can pair it with any dishes to make a balanced meal like wine-roasted beef tenderloin or grilled chicken. The beauty of this salad is that you can mix pretty much any veggies you desire, such as bell peppers, kale, or even corn.
To make it a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, simply throw in some chopped kalamata olives and some crumbled feta, and you are ready to go! Not only is this dish healthy and colorful, but it is also very easy to make and ready in just a few minutes. Just perfect to enjoy during a busy summer day!
Are chickpeas healthy?
Yes, it is healthy to eat chickpeas. This protein source is plant-based which makes it healthier than meat. Hence, if you are trying to lose weight, this recipe is perfect as it contains healthy ingredients.
This legume has a number of nutrients including vitamin K, manganese, iron, and zinc that are good for the bones and joints. It regulates sugar as well as blood pressure. It has selenium that can be rarely found in plant-based sources, but chickpea has it.
Are chickpeas good for weight-loss?
The fiber in it not only helps fight high cholesterol in the blood and aids in digestion, but it also makes you feel saturated. In turn, you avoid overeating. Hence, this dish can be your go-to recipe when trying to lose weight.
When working out to lose weight, you need energy and chickpeas can help you with that. It contains 269 kcal of energy per cup. Remember to watch your portions though. I know it will be hard to resist because it is so delicious but anything in excess will make you gain weight.
Can you eat chickpeas from the can?
You certainly can! Canned peas are already cooked so you can eat them without further cooking. However, do not eat them straight out the can. First, drain them and rinse them in cold water. This washes off the high sodium content found in the liquid that the peas are canned in.
How long do garbanzo beans last after the can is opened?
Once opened, drain and transfer the contents of the can in an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for three to four days.
You can freeze them, too, and they will stay in optimum quality for one to two months. Beyond that, they are still good for consumption. Just look for signs of molds, or off smell, and do not attempt to taste.
How do you make chickpea salad?
- Prepare the dressing by whisking these ingredients in a bowl: extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set this aside.
- In another bowl, combine the garbanzo beans, sliced avocados, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, minced garlic, crumbled feta cheese, and cilantro.
- Pour in the dressing, and top with more feta cheese, and some green onions.
- Chill for about an hour, then, serve and enjoy!
How do you prepare dried garbanzo beans?
We used the canned version for this recipe, but you can certainly use the dried ones. However, it is not so easy to prepare. Here is the tedious procedure on how to prepare garbanzo beans:
- Soak them in water for at least 4 hours, better if extended until 8 hours. For every cup, add in three cups of water.
- After soaking, remove from water and simmer in a large pot of freshwater with the lid open.
- Let the garbanzo beans cook until soft for about 3 hours before using them in your recipes.
How many calories are there in chickpea salad?
One serving of this dish will give you 167 calories.
How do you store the chickpea salad?
Simply put it in the refrigerator in an airtight container and this will last for about 3 to 5 days.
You can also put it in the freezer in single-portion freezer bags and thaw as needed. Once thawed, eat the salad at once. You can separately store the dressing, too.
How long chickpea salad can sit out?
Two hours. After this, discard it if left exposed.
More healthy salad recipes:
- When choosing avocados, look for non-wilted ones and not too soft. To prepare, simply cut in the middle and twist the halves to expose its seed. Remove the seed and slice through the flesh while the skin is still intact. Then, use a spoon to scoop out the slices.
- Once you have sliced the avocados, drizzle lemon juice on them to avoid unwanted oxidation.
- You can replace the cilantro with fresh parsley if you want.
Easy Chickpea Salad
- 3 cans 15.5 oz each chickpeas or garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 English cucumber (halved and sliced)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 avocados (sliced)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing and top.
- Garnish with green onions, sprinkle more feta cheese top and serve or refrigerate.