Kiwi Margarita is a refreshing cocktail that’s tart and tangy, but with the perfect dash of sweetness. The elegant green shade makes it such a beauty to serve!
The right beverage can really take your meals to the next level. Serve this kid-friendly Mango Lemonade at your next Sunday dinner, and impress your friends at brunch with this Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri. For something comforting, this Instant Pot Apple Cider is always a wonderful choice.
Kiwi Margarita Recipe
Kiwi Margarita makes use of one of my favorite fruits: kiwis! Those little fuzzy balls of fruit are always such a treat. I can eat one after another, and if I don’t watch it, I can probably eat a whole bunch by myself!
The kiwi’s flavor profile – tart, slightly sweet, and super juicy – goes so well in cocktails, especially margaritas. It cuts through the tequila, and the orange liqueur amplifies the tropical taste of this drink.
That natural green color looks so gorgeous poured over ice in a tall glass. Bright, refreshing, and bursting with kiwi goodness, this is sure to be a sure hit on your next get-together!
What is margarita?
Margarita is a popular cocktail that’s made with tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur. It can be served straight up (no ice), blended (aka frozen margarita), or served over ice cubes (on the rocks). Before serving, the glass rim is usually rolled in salt.
The basic margarita recipe is already so delicious on its own. However, those fruity flavors are so versatile, and you can make a lot of versions using different fruits. Citrusy, sweet fruits like kiwis go really well on margaritas.
Kiwi Margarita ingredients:
If you like drinking cocktails or serve them pretty often, you probably have some of these in your cupboard already:
For this Kiwi Margarita recipe, you need:
- Fresh kiwis
- Orange liqueur
- Lime Juice
- Simple syrup (sugar, water, vanilla, lemon, mint)
- Lime slices
- Salt or sugar
Aside from kiwis, you can use most fruits to give your margaritas a twist, which is another reason to keep these basic ingredients on hand.
How to make the best Kiwi Margarita
There are three simple steps to making Kiwi Margaritas:
- Make your simple syrup dissolving sugar in water. Once it’s completely dissolved, stir in your vanilla, mint, and lemon juice.
- Prepare your kiwi mixture by blending the kiwi until smooth. Remove the pulp by straining through a mesh sieve.
- Make the cocktail. Shake the kiwi mixture, syrup, liquors, and lime juice together.
To serve, run a lime wedge along the rim of your glasses. Dip rims into sugar or salt. Add ice until glass is 3/4 full. Pour the cocktail into the glass, garnish, and serve immediately.
Can I use frozen kiwi to make a margarita?
Absolutely, since you’ll be processing the fruit anyway. Having a stash of frozen kiwis also means you can make this drink anytime you want.
Not a fan of tequila? No problem! You can use other clear liquors like vodka and white rum. In particular, fruit-flavored vodka really complements this recipe.
Since you’ll be using lime and orange liquor, citrusy or tropical fruits like mangoes, raspberries, and cranberries also go well with the basic components of this cocktail.
Can you make KM in advance?
For sure! Just put the kiwi mix in containers and freeze. Just defrost and serve as indicated in the recipe when you’re ready to use it.
- White Russian Cocktail
- Strawberry Prosecco Jelly Cocktail
- Ginger Pomegranate Mojito
- Lemonade Vodka Club Soda
- If serving a crowd, buy lime juice so you have enough juice without having to squeeze a lot of limes.
- You can use kiwi berries if available.
- Garnish the cocktail with slices of kiwi.
Kiwi Margarita Recipe
- 2 cups kiwi chunks
- 3 ounces lime juice
- 6 ounces tequila
- 3 ounces orange liqueur (like Cointreau)
- 2 ounces simple syrup
Homemade Simple Syrup Recipe:
- 2 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lime slices
- sugar or salt for rim
Make Simple Syrup:
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat, add water, sugar, and lemon peel, bring to a steady boil.
- Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and vanilla.
- Let mixture cool completely, for about 20-30 minutes.
- Discard lemon peel.
Make Kiwi Mixture:
- Add the kiwi chunks to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Strain through a mesh sieve to remove the pulp.
Make Kiwi Margarita:
- Combine the kiwi juice, lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker, shake well and set aside.
- Run a lime wedge along the rim of two glasses then dip the rims into a plate with salt or sugar.
- Fill the glasses about ¾ full of ice and pour the cocktail into the glasses, garnish with a lime wedge and serve.