Last updated on March 15th, 2022 at 07:41 pmJump to Recipe
How To Cook Pork in The Instant Pot [Video]
Knowing how to cook pork in the Instant Pot will save you time and effort! With this recipe, you will get a tender and tasty pork roast in minutes!
You know we adore the Instant Pot! Buying it is one of the best decisions that you will ever make as a home cook. You can make this recipe along with tons of other delicious ones like the recipes for Keto Cheesecake, Coconut Curry Chicken, and Guinness Beef Stew!
How To Cook Pork in the Pressure Cooker
This Instant Pot Pork recipe is one of the best ever. If you know how to cook pork in the pressure cooker, then, most probably, you can cook anything in it. Perfecting a pork roast using the IP is made easy with this recipe.
It is quite tricky, especially that we often use tough cuts for this kind of recipe, but it is worth it when cooked using the pressure cooker. In this recipe, the meat is rubbed with seasonings and spices, then, pressure-cooked to perfection!
If you have meat-loving friends or family members, then, this dish is perfect to serve at any day! There is no need to wait for the next biggest event to taste this dish. Instead, make one today and celebrate even when there is no occasion!
Why should I cook pork shoulder roast in the Instant Pot?
Aside from the IP being able to prepare your meat faster, it will not require you to watch and hover it the whole time like you would if you are using the stovetop.
If you forget to thaw your meat, or even if you intend to cook it frozen, the IP will do its job of tenderizing the meat just the same if you would prepare it thawed or fresh — you will just have to wait for a little longer.
And if you are wondering why pork should roast the popular choice of cut, it is because it is inexpensive and yet it is highly versatile and flavorful.
How to Cook Pork in the Instant Pot:
- Season: In a bowl, combine all the dry rub ingredients. You may use a fork to ensure that no lump remains and that the mixture is almost homogeneous. Then, rub this mixture all over the roast and set it aside.
- Brown: Using the sauté function of the IP, heat some oil and brown the seasoned meat. Sear each side for a couple of minutes. Set it aside.
- Deglaze: Use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan by pouring in wine first.
- Cook: Stir in the aromatics, then, add in the broth, the herbs, and the meat placed on top of the trivet. Seal the lid and set it to High for about 70 minutes.
- QPR: Perform a quick pressure release (QPR) and add in the vegetables. Cook some more for another 3 minutes.
- Set: Do another quick pressure release and remove everything except for the liquid.
- Thicken: If you like, you can add slurry into the liquid at this point. When the desired consistency is achieved, you can then serve the meat with this sauce.
- Serve: Garnish and then, serve.
How long to cook a pork roast in the Instant Pot?
You will need only about 90 hours for the whole thing, with 70 minutes dedicated to the actual cooking.
What to Serve with Instant Pot pork roast:
Try these equally simple recipes:
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: For 3 to 5 days, store leftovers wrapped in plastic.
- Freeze: The storage period can be extended up to 3 months when frozen and wrapped thoroughly.
- Should you wish to thaw the roast, remember that a big one will need 4 to 7 hours per pound and the smaller one will need only 3 to 5 hours.
- Make sure to pat the meat dry on the surface when putting the dry rub.
- You can skip browning the meat although sautéing makes the dish even more delicious.
How To Cook Pork In The Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
PORK & VEGGIES
- 2 lb pork shoulder roast
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large carrots chopped into 1.5-inch chunks
- 2 celery springs cut into 1.5-inch chunks
- 3 large potatoes chopped into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Mix together in a bowl all the SPICE RUB ingredients.
- Next, rub the mixture all over the pork roast using your hands. Set aside.
- Turn on the Saute feature of the Instant Pot, to the High setting and once it displays Hot add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pot.
- Add pork roast and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the white wine to deglaze and using a wooden spoon scrape the bits that stuck to the bottom.
- Next, add onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add the broth, fresh rosemary, bay leaves and place the metal Instant Pot trivet on top.
- Place pork roast on top of the trivet and close the lid. Seal the valve and pressure cook for 70 minutes followed by a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release. Release manually any remaining pressure.
- Uncover and add carrots, celery, and potatoes to the pot. Cover again and set Instant Pot to pressure cook for 3 minutes, followed by a Quick Release.
- Remove the pork roast and veggies from the Instant Pot and place them on a large serving plate. Discard the rosemary sprigs and bay leaves.
- Remove the trivet and set aside.
- Turn on the Saute feature, in a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and broth until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add the mixture to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce thickens, stir from time to time.
- Shred the pork and serve with veggies and gravy on the top.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary and parsley.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations