Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 05:49 pm
Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken is one of the fastest, most delicious and flavorful dinners you can make in 30 minutes! Not fried and with no processed sugar!
Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken
Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken is so much better than takeout! This recipe is super easy and quick to make, and also doesn’t involve any deep-fried chicken or processed sugar. I love my fair share of indulgent recipes, but I also like to balance it and eat healthily. This healthy dish is best served over brown rice. It is definitely one of those crowd-pleasing meals that I always refer to on a busy weeknight.
Also, you can adjust the recipe as you want. Feel free to add some spiciness to it, or garnish with some chopped green onions, or sesame seeds. In addition, feel free to make a large batch and store it for the days to come. Leftover is delicious, and it tastes even better in the next days!
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken Recipe:
- Firstly, it’s very easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights
- Also, creates delicious leftovers that can be easily packed for next day lunches
- Can be made with kids as the steps are not complicated
- Fresh and beautiful flavors
- In addition, it’s packed with lots of lean protein
- Healthy – the chicken hasn’t been deep-fried and the meal doesn’t contain any processed sugar
Tips & Tricks on how to make the perfect Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken at home:
- I always say this, but a good meat centered meal starts with quality meat, so use organic chicken breasts.
- Also, cornstarch is a key ingredient in here, do not try to replace it with flour, the results will not be the same.
- Using fresh ginger and garlic will add amazing flavor and taste to the sauce.
- I am a huge garlic lover, you can add more or less as you please, but in my case, more garlic is always better.
- In addition, fresh lemon zest will add a punch of flavor so definitely add some and please don’t skip it.
- You can serve this meal with white or brown rice.
- Garnishing the dish with sesame seeds and green onions will add a pop of color and interesting texture.
Love easy Chicken Recipes? Check these out:
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken – OMG the flavors are amazing!
- Honey Lemon Chicken Lettuce Wraps – You can see that I love the honey lemon flavor.
- Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken – easy-breezy, made is minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Chicken Pesto Kebabs – on the grill or in the oven!
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken – the epitome of comfort food!
- Crispy Ginger Sesame Chicken – a very easy and flavorful meal.
Tools/Ingredients I used to make the Honey Lemon Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe:
- Soy Sauce – I like using lite soy sauce in my recipes, as it has less sodium and its easier from me to control the saltiness of the dish, I always buy a large bottle like this one and keep it in my pantry
- Sesame Seeds – these little guys are perfect in Asian recipes, also sprinkled on salads and fish, a jar will last you a long time
- Cornstarch – I prefer using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken sauces, and this organic brand is my favorite
Healthy Honey Lemon Chicken
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-2 inch chunks)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Honey Lemon Glaze:
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- ⅓ cup honey (or more)
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 10 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 green onion (thinly sliced)
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a medium saucepan add rice and to 2 1/2 cups of boiling water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside when ready.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper add it to the skillet, cook until golden, stirring and tossing occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
Honey Lemon Glaze:
- Add chicken broth, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic and cornstarch to a medium sauce pan over medium heat, stir to combine. When adding the cornstarch is best to make a slurry to avoid clumps. Mix it with the orange juice in a small bowl and after that add it to the sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring from time to time, about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, pour it over the chicken. Cook on medium low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring and gently tossing to combine. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken over brown rice, drizzle with a little more honey lemon glaze. If desired, garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.