Hashbrown Casserole is a classic breakfast staple that is creamy and cheesy. With all its cheesy goodness, you will forget it is so easy to prepare!
Easy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Hashbrown casserole can be eaten for breakfast, as a snack or as a hearty side dish. It is versatile as you can pair with almost anything making it an all-time favorite! We enjoy to make it quite often, because it feeds a larger crowd, and can be easily stored for days to come.
You may have eaten this dish at Cracker Barrel, as this is the restaurant’s best-seller recipe. However, for those that did not have a chance to try it before, do not get disappointed. This is the perfect time to try to make it at home. Not only is this recipe easy, but making it at home is healthier, and also budget-friendly.
How to make hashbrown casserole?
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease the 9×13 baking pan while you prepare the other ingredients. In a bowl, combine cream and flour until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix well the sour cream, cream cheese, melted butter, and the seasonings: salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and paprika.
- Mix in the hash browns and the cream mixture prepared earlier. Then, pour the whole thing and distribute evenly across the baking pan. Top with grated cheddar and a mixture of melted butter and crushed cornflakes.
- Cover the whole thing with foil, then, pop it in the oven for an hour. After about 50 minutes of baking, remove the foil, and put it back in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes. This way you will get a perfectly golden brown, and crunchy topping. Serve the casserole hot and garnish it with some chopped parsley.
How to prepare the hashbrowns for this casserole?
If you are going to use frozen hash browns, then, it is best to thaw them out in the refrigerator. Drain any moisture before using in this recipe as frozen and moist potatoes will need prolonged baking. Also, you can make your own, using my easy recipe.
How to make a cheesy hashbrown casserole?
To make yours extra cheesy, simply add in more cheese of your choice. We love using freshly grated cheese, such as parmesan or mozzarella, but any type will perfectly work here. Who doesn’t love cheese anyway?!
How to make Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole?
A lot of attempts have been made to copy the famous Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole. This recipe is pretty close to it. However, if you want to mimic the exact Cracker Barrel recipe, then substitute the cream mixture with cream of chicken soup or cream of cheddar.
What is in Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole?
It is top secret! But you can almost copy the taste by using the condensed cream of chicken soup that can be bought at the local stores. You can also make a homemade version by combining milk, flour, and chicken broth along with some seasonings.
How many calories are in Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole?
There are about 190 calories in a serving of this Southern favorite.
How long is hashbrown casserole good for after being cooked?
Cooked potato dishes must be kept in the refrigerator within two hours of being exposed. In the fridge, hashbrown casserole can stay good for about 3 to 5 days as long as it has been cooked and properly stored.
How to store hashbrown casserole?
You can freeze this casserole in airtight containers and just reheat when you need to. Let it cool completely before freezing or putting it in the refrigerator. It is also ideal to transfer this to smaller individual containers so that you can thaw only the amount that you will be eating and not the whole dish.
How to freeze hashbrown casserole?
You can freeze the leftovers or the uncooked casserole before baking it in the oven.
If you intend to bake it first before storing, then, you can bake it halfway first. Then, remove it from the oven to cool completely. This way, when you will cook it again, you will not overcook it.
If you wish to keep it for a long time, then, covering the dish with aluminum foil or freezer wrap will protect it from freezer burn. It can stay in the freezer for three months. Thaw it out completely when you are about to cook it again.
What to serve with hashbrown casserole?
- The recipe can be altered by incorporating other vegetables like peas and broccoli. Also, for enhanced flavor, add some bacon or ham to it.
- Any cheese will work great here. However, for a deeper flavor, we prefer to go with cheddar. You can also use Colby cheese instead of cheddar. It is a bit sweeter with less tang.
- Use a glass casserole dish when freezing it. The glass can withstand the lower temperature, and when reheating, you will no longer need to transfer everything to another container.
Watch recipe video:
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 lb frozen hashbrowns (thawed)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz cream of chicken soup, optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cup corn flakes (crushed)
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish and set aside.
- In a measuring cup combine cream and flour, whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, paprika and 1/2 cup of the melted butter. Mix until combined.
- Add the hash browns and the cream mixture, also the cream of chicken soup if using, stir to combine. Pour into the prepared 13x9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of grated cheddar over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup melted butter with crushed corn flakes. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for about 60 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until topping is golden and crunchy.
- Serve hot.