Cajun Shrimp and Sausage in a creamy parmesan sauce is a quick, one-pan meal bursting with bold Southern flavors! Loaded with protein and veggies, this makes for a hearty and full of flavor meal!
This dish is creamy and loaded in protein, perfect to serve with some fluffy White Rice or Brown Rice. For this occasion we encourage you to try our homemade blend of Cajun Seasoning. Make it at home so you can always have some on hand!
One Pan Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Recipe
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage is fast and simple enough for dinner on a busy weeknight. But if you’re having company over, this is also a dish you’ll be proud to serve your guests.
The sausages and seafood are seasoned in Cajun spices, then pan-seared until juicy and caramelized. You have that gorgeous parmesan cream sauce with bits of onion and red bell pepper. It’s amazing on its own or with rice, steamed veggies, or pasta. Best of all, it takes less than 30 minutes to put together!
What is Cajun seasoning?
It’s a rustic and spicy seasoning from the south. Louisiana, specifically. The traditional blend includes powdered paprika, powdered cayenne, onion powder and powdered garlic, dried thyme and dried oregano, and fresh-ground black and white pepper.
I always recommend making it from scratch because you only need everyday spices, and it’s much cheaper to make a large batch that’ll last for a long time. But it’s perfectly fine to use store-bought.
Use our homemade recipe to make your own!
What do you need to make Cajun Shrimp and Sausage?
- Shrimp: Get large ones, then peel and devein them.
- Sausage: Sliced into your preferred thickness.
- Cajun seasoning: Either store-bought or homemade is fine.
- Butter: A tablespoon of unsalted lends our cream sauce such a rich and creamy consistency. Its up to you if you want to use some, I usually just use olive oil.
- Aromatics: Fresh garlic and onion, both diced.
- Bell Peppers: Slice some red and green ones into chunks.
- Mushrooms: This dish is loaded with veggies, white or baby Bella mushrooms work great!
- Okra: its delicious coated in the cajun creamy sauce.
- Broth: Used to loosen up the sauce a bit. You may use chicken or veggie.
- Heavy cream: Get some real double cream for the best sauce!
- Parmesan: Grated finely, so that it melts into the sauce.
- Garnish: Parsley.
How to make Cajun Shrimp and Sausage from scratch?
- Sear. Coat seafood and meat in the Cajun blend and oil. Pan-sear until done and slightly caramelized.
- Make the sauce. Stir fry the onion in oil and melted butter if using, followed by the bell peppers, rest of the veggies and the garlic. Pour broth and reduce the heat, then thicken with the heavy cream over low heat. Return back the sausage to the pan. Finally, add the parmesan and simmer until smooth and reduced to your liking.
- Assemble. Add the seafood. Stir to coat with the pepper cream sauce.
- Serve. Plate up with a sprinkle of parsley. Enjoy hot with some rice on the side!
- Add vegetables: Turn it into a complete meal! Stir-fry some thin-sliced broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots. Add at the end, along with the meat and seafood. You can also stir in some fresh baby spinach into the sauce.
- Spicy: For heat, add more cayenne or a tbsp of pepper flakes.
- Use other meats: Try this with some seared chicken breasts or pan-seared, tender pork.
How do you clean shrimp?
Get some really sharp scissors, and cut it carefully along the back. Try to leave the tail intact. Remove the dark vein with a paring knife, then pat the shrimp dry.
What sausage is best for homemade Cajun Shrimp and Sausage?
Smoked pork or chicken are mild enough to showcase that beautiful pepper cream sauce without lost in all those bold Cajun spices. You can also use Andouille, kielbasa, and mild or hot Italian sausages if you wish.
How to serve:
It’s hearty enough to eat as a meal on its own, but it’s also tasty served over some white or brown rice, over plain pasta, or cauliflower rice. Really good with some mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes.
How to store:
Before you transfer to an air-tight storage container, cool the leftovers first. Keep in the fridge and eat within 5 days or earlier.
Can you freeze Cajun Shrimp and Sausage?
Yes, it reheats beautifully! Once it’s cool, transfer to a freezer bag or freezer-safe airtight container. Keep frozen up to three months.
To reheat, microwave until hot, or heat up in a skillet with a little broth to loosen up the sauce.
More Shrimp Recipes:
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Lemon Pepper Shrimp
- Shrimp Creole
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Instant Pot Shrimp Boil
- You can use pre-cleaned, frozen shrimp. Less prep work, too!
- For a lighter sauce, try using half and half.
- Don’t overcook the seafood. Once it’s opaque and pink, take it off the heat.
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage in a creamy parmesan sauce is a quick, one-pan meal bursting with bold Southern flavors!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 mins