This Birthday Cake recipe yields a moist and festive dessert for your special day! Surprise your guests with your personal touch with this easy recipe!
Place this cake at the center of your dessert bar along with the rest of the colorful and delicious sweets like the Strawberry Tiramisu, Instant Pot Chocolate Muffins, and White Chocolate Creme Brulee!
Funfetti Birthday Cake Recipe
The Birthday Cake is the scene-stopper at parties – always the most stunning food item on the table. It is often decorated with sprinkles and topped with candles. It is served to celebrate the tradition of candle-blowing.
What started in Germany centuries ago is still being observed today. Before, when baking tools and ingredients were expensive, only rich people were able to afford this commodity. But since the turn of the 18th century until now, it has grown more popular.
Now, birthdays are never complete without a cake. With this recipe, we will teach you how you can make your own masterpiece the easy way! Not only will you be able to control and learn the process, but you will also be able to personalize it!
What is the birthday cake?
It is a pastry that comes in various flavors and designs that is usually served as part of the celebration. The number of candles that are placed on it usually indicates the celebrator’s age.
What is a good birthday cake flavor?
It is a matter of personal preference. But the most popular choices would be chocolate and vanilla. You can go chocolate on vanilla, or vice versa. Or, you can even do chocolate on chocolate!
Anyway, these are usually decorated with icings or buttercream (depending on what you like) and you can even mix and match layers of different flavors, too.
How do you make a funfetti birthday cake:
- Set up: Set the oven at 350 degrees and spray cooking spray on your pans.
- Prepare the flour mixture: Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Prepare the egg mixture: In a large bowl, whisk together using the mixer these ingredients: butter, shortening, and sugar. Continue beating as you add in the eggs, and finally, the vanilla extract.
- Mix all the ingredients: Continue beating while alternating the addition of the flour mixture with water, buttermilk, and oil. Add in the sprinkles, too.
- Bake: Distribute the batter into three cake pans and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool: Set aside and let the layers rest.
- Make the frosting: Using the standing mixer, combine the frosting ingredients and add in the sprinkles last. Put some in a piping bag.
- Decorate: Flatten the top of each layer using the leveler. Then, assemble the layers on the board by alternating them with the frosting. Once done, frost the whole surface and using the piping bag, put on dollops of frosting on top. Add in the sprinkles.
- Refrigerate: Before serving, refrigerate for at least an hour to stiffen up the frosting.
- Make it in advance: You can do the layers first, then, frost later. It is a matter of planning because decorating it may take time according to how you want it to look. You can start now and continue one or two days later.
- Freeze the cake layers: Once it has cooled down to room temperature, tightly wrap the layers in plastic then in aluminum foil. Put the whole thing in a freezer bag before you put it in the freezer. Thaw it first before using the leveler before decorating it.
- Freeze a frosted cake: For an hour, freeze it without any cover at all until the frosting becomes hard. Once hard enough, wrap it with plastic careful not to expose any area before putting it in the freezer. If frozen well, this can keep for a couple of months.
- Refrigerate: You can keep the cake in the fridge, in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
More desserts you might like:
- Carrot Poke Cake
- No Bake Tiramisu Cheesecake
- Carrot Zucchini Bread
- Easter Greek Cookies
- Carrot Cheesecake
- The proper way of measuring the flour is to transfer it into the measuring cup by spoon and then, leveling it. You will be putting too much flour if you try to compact it which you want to avoid. Too much flour dries out the cake.
- Freezing the layers can make decorating easier as they become more solidified to bear the weight of the frosting. You can also freeze the layers with a thin coating of frosting. This is to keep the moisture in.
- When baking, make sure that all ingredients like eggs and butter are at room temperature. This ensures that they will be well incorporated in the batter and not form lumps.
Birthday Cake Recipe
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup shortening (softened)
- 3 cups white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 3 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 cups shortening
- 12 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray 3 9-inch cake pans with baking spray and set aside. For best results, add parchment paper on the bottom and spray with baking spray on top.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir and set aside.
- In another large bowl, using a standing mixer, cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla extract until combined. Stop a few times to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Gradually beat in ⅓ of the flour mixture until combined. Add the water, buttermilk and oil. Beat to combine.
- Beat in another ⅓ of the flour mixture and beat in the milk. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat to combine.
- Stir in the sprinkles.
- Divide the batter between the prepared 3 cake pans.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before assembling.
- Using a standing mixer, combine all ingredients except sprinkles and beat until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks. Stop a few times to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- If the frosting is not stiff enough, add more powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add the sprinkles and mix to combine.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into a piping bag fitted with the star tip and set aside.
- Using a cake leveler or a sharp serrated knife, remove the domes from the cakes to level them out.
- Fix a cake board onto the cake stand. Add a few tablespoons of frosting onto the board and place one cake layer onto it.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting onto the cake layer and smooth evenly using a spatula.
- Place the second cake round onto the top of the frosting, add 1 cup of frosting onto the second cake layer and smooth evenly.
- Add the last cake layer, and using the remaining frosting, frost entire cake.
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake.
- Garnish the sides of the cake with sprinkles and add some on top as well.
- Place into the fridge for at least 4-6 hours, to allow the frosting to harden up a bit before slicing.