Apple Pie Coffee Cake is the perfect dessert for fall! It is dense and flavorful, made with apple pie filling and a delicious cinnamon spice streusel!
Whenever I have my favorite latte, I like having it with a good pastry and this recipe makes a delightful one! See our other recipes for all things autumny like the Sweet Potato Bread, Cabbage Soup, and Cranberry Relish!
Apple Pie Coffee Cake
Apple Pie Coffee Cake is like two desserts in one. You get to enjoy an apple pie filling but instead of a crust made with graham cracker crumbs, you get a soft layer of cake.
Not to mention, I am a huge fan of fruit-based desserts. The tartness of the fruit provides a good balance to the sweetness and spices further enhance that.
Aside from the filling, my favorite part is the streusel topping which gives a contrast of texture to the whole thing.
What is good about this recipe is that this is purely homemade, made from scratch, no cake mix in the ingredients!
How do you make homemade Apple Pie Spice?
I simply combine these spices in the following ratio:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch allspice (optional)
You can add more of the cinnamon and more of the nutmeg if you want. A dash of ground ginger would not hurt either. Others add cardamom, too.
You can try to experiment and adjust depending on your taste. Once combined, store it in an airtight jar.
In making the filling, you will need this.
How do you make homemade Apple Pie Filling?
We have already shared with you how to make the homemade filling in this post and simply refer to it, it also has a step-by-step video.
What I like about this is that you can adjust the recipe depending on how sweet your fruits are. So, depending on the kind that you use, you might have to put more or less of the brown sugar.
How do you make Apple Pie Coffee Cake?
- Make the cake layer: Lightly grease a springform pan and dash some flour. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then, using a mixer, mix in the butter. Add the rest of the batter ingredients. Once fully incorporated and fluffy, spread half of the batter into the pan.
- Add the cinnamon filling: Prepare it by combining flour, butter, sugar, and cinnamon. When crumbs have formed, spread this over the batter then, pour in the remaining batter on top. Then, top with the apple pie filling.
- Add the streusel topping: Mix sugar, cinnamon, and salt with a fork then, mix in the butter. Then, add the flour slowly until crumbs are formed. Sprinkle these on top of the layers.
- Bake: Put this in the oven and bake at 450 degrees F for about 45 to 50 minutes. Let it cool to prepare it for the glaze.
- Serve: Make the glaze by simply mixing the ingredients. It should be thick and opaque. Drizzle it on top before serving.
Can you make Apple Pie Coffee Cake in advance?
Yes! You can make it in advance because it keeps well in the fridge and the freezer. Read on for the storage instructions.
Also, you will need around 30 minutes in making the filling. The good thing is that you can make this in advance and store it in the fridge for later use.
How to store Apple Pie Coffee Cake:
- Refrigerate: Store it in the fridge, covered in an airtight container, for up to a week.
- Freeze: You can also freeze it by first wrapping it in plastic and a freezer bag. Freeze it for up to 2 to 3 months. Thaw before serving.
- For a well-balanced taste, choose a combination of tart and sweet varieties of the fruit.
- Top it with vanilla ice cream!
- For more apple recipe suggestions, you can make a pie, a danish, crumble, a cheesecake, a drink, or bake them! Check our posts!
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 1 hour Total time: 2 hrs
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 cups Apple Pie Filling (homemade or store-bought*)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and dust with a bit of flour a springform pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat in softened butter into the flour mixture until all combined and crumbly.
- Add in eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and beat until fully combined, the mixture should be fluffy.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- In a small bowl, using a fork mix together the softened butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon until soft crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the cake batter. Add the remaining cake batter on top.
- Add the apple pie filling and spread evenly. Set aside.
Apple Pie Filling:
You can use the homemade version by following this recipe - https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/homemade-apple-pie-filling/ , or you can use a store-bought version.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar with cinnamon and salt. Add in the melted butter and combine using a fork.
- Once the butter is fully combined, add the flour little by little and mix with a fork or using your hands until fully combined and crumbs are formed.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the apple pie filling layer and evenly distribute.
- Bake cake for about 45-50 minutes, until fully cooked. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Cool completely before adding the glaze.
- Add the powdered sugar to a medium bowl, add two tablespoons of milk and the vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined with no lumps.
- If the mixture is too thick add one more tablespoon of milk. I like the glaze on the thicker side, yet pourable.
- Use a fork or spoon to drizzle the icing over the cake.
- Slice and serve!