Instant Pot Chicken and Rice [Video]
Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 09:32 pm
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is a quick dish you can whip up in just 30 minutes! It is hearty and delicious, with a fresh zesty lemon flavor. Try it now!
The pressure cooker cuts the cooking time significantly for dishes like this. If you want more IP recipes, check out these versions of the Penne Alla Vodka, Lamb Stew, and Tomato Bisque!
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is creamy, moist, and savory! It is pure comfort food right up my alley. I love how the garlic flavor is played up in this dish.
And it is a full meal already since you have carbs, protein, and fiber in one dish. Since it has rice, it will leave you feeling fuller for longer.
Much like risotto, the grains are soft and pleasant to chew. But, unlike risotto, this recipe will not require you to stir for 30 minutes.
Instead, you will only cook it for 30 minutes tops. Recipes as quick like this simply make home-cooking doable even for busy people!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Sauté: Use the sauté function of the IP to cook the vegetables and aromatics in butter and oil. Add in the meat and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the grains: Pour the broth and grains. Stir everything.
- Add the aromatics: Cut a whole head of garlic crosswise, then put both halves with the cut-side facing the rest of the ingredients. Add the bay leaf and lemon, too.
- Cook: Set to manual to cook for 10 minutes, then, do a quick pressure release afterward. Remove the garlic, bay leaf, and lemon once you open the lid.
- Serve: Stir in the cheese and parsley. Then, garnish with more cheese and parsley before serving.
How long do you cook chicken and rice in the Instant Pot?
The actual cooking is about 20 minutes. But the pressure build-up will set you back by 5 minutes more. With another 5 minutes to allocate for preparation, the total time is only 30 minutes.
What is the best rice to use for Instant Pot?
Use long grains such as jasmine or basmati. You can also use brown rice, but you will need to cook it longer. Soaking it may help to lessen the time. Experiment on the cooking time and texture if you are going to use this kind.
How to make fluffier rice?
If you want to make them fluffy, rinse until the water runs clear to remove as much starch as possible. Otherwise, do not rinse the grains because if you want them sticky, you need to retain the starch.
Can I add frozen veggies to it?
Yes! You certainly can improve it by adding more fiber from frozen veggies like the following:
Can you make chicken and rice in the crockpot?
Yes! It takes longer, but the outcome is just as tasty! Refer to this post for the crockpot recipe.
More delicious Instant Pot recipes
How to store it:
- Refrigerate: Transfer it into an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Place it in a freezer-proof container and store for up to 3 months.
- Before pressure-cooking, make sure to stir everything such that nothing sticks to the bottom that may cause an error in the IP.
- I strongly recommend sautéing the veggies as it gives them a nice caramelization which enriches the flavors.
- Follow these one-pan recipes for honey garlic and Italian variations.
- If you do not have chicken thighs or breasts, it is okay to use tenders or wings, or just any cut that you have.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups Jasmine rice (un-rinsed)
- 1 head garlic unpeeled (cut in half crosswise)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon (halved)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley (finely chopped)
- Click on Saute and adjust it to high heat. Once hot add butter, oil, and stir for the butter to melt. Add the chopped onion, grated carrots, celery, minced garlic, and salt. Stir occasionally and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chicken, some salt and the ground black pepper, Italian dried herbs, and dried parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and rice and stir to combine.
- Cut the whole garlic head in half crosswise and add the garlic halves on top of the rice, cut-side down.
- Add bay leaves and one half of the lemon.
- Cover and lock the lid, set valve to sealed and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes then do a quick release.
- Open the lid, discard garlic head, bay leaves, and lemon half.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese and the fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve topped with more cheese and garnish sprinkled with parsley.
CommentsLeave a reply