Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The best Chocolate Zucchini Bread that is moist, tender and very fudgy. You can’t taste the zucchini, but they make the texture of this bread irresistable.
If you are trying to add more vegetables to your diet and failing, mixing them with chocolate may be the solution. This Chocolate Zucchini Bread will trick even the worst picky eaters into eating it and even ask for seconds. The bread is irresistibly fudgy and very chocolaty, almost like biting into a brownie, so dense and rich. The best part is that you can’t taste the zucchini, but it gives the bread the most amazing, tender and moist crumb.
I like to add lots of chocolate chips to my Chocolate Zucchini Bread and also some walnuts, for a nice crunch. This bread is the perfect coffee snack, and the best excuse to have chocolate for breakfast. I love that it freezes well, so if I need to hide it from myself, into the freezer it goes.
Looking for more sweet breads recipes? Check these out:
Tips On How To Make The Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe:
- Chocolate is one of the main ingredients here, so make sure you use quality cocoa powder, as this is basically how the bread will taste. Same applies to the chocolate chips, use high quality ones.
- I also like to use larger chocolate chips, as they don’t fully melt when baked and are amazing when you bite into them!
- Always measure the zucchini, I usually use 2 medium zucchini, but after you drain the water, measure two cups packed.
- Choose smaller zucchini, larger ones tend to be dry, tougher and have a bitter taste.
- The chopped walnuts are optional, you can skip them if you don’t like walnuts or just prefer not to use them.
- You can use canola oil, vegetable oil or even olive oil! Also, you can use melted coconut oil.
- This bread also tastes amazing with peanut butter chocolate chips!
- The bread is every dense, so it will not rise a lot in the oven, that is ok.
- Watch the bread closely after 45-50 minutes of baking, to make sure you won’t over bake it. I like to check on it at the 50 minute mark and if it still needs more baking, check on it every 5-7 minutes until done. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean or just with some melted chocolate on, but not raw batter.
- Serve the bread warm or room temperature, you can also warm up slices in the microwave and it tastes delicious with some butter.
- The bread can be stored wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for 4 days.
- Loaf Pan – huge fan of their products, always great quality!
Can You Freeze the Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
Yes, you can. Cool the bread completely and fully wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly. After that wrap in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing. You can also freeze individual slices.
How do You Grate Zucchini for Bread?
- Don’t peel the zucchini, it melts into the bread, so peeling is just unnecessary.
- Wash the zucchini well under warm water, use a vegetable brush to remove dirt.
- Cut both ends off of the zucchini.
- Set a standup box grater on a plate or cutting board on the counter and shred the zucchini by continuously running it over the large holes of the grater.
Can You Taste the Zucchini in desserts?
No, you don’t. The Zucchini pack a lot of moisture, so it will make the cake very tender, and you should not worry, your cake will not taste as a veggie.
Pin This Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe to your Favorite Board
Best Chocolate Zucchini Bread
The best Chocolate Zucchini Bread that is moist, tender and very fudgy. You can't taste the zucchini, but they make the texture of this bread irresistable.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 olive oil or canola oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups packed shredded zucchini about 1 medium zucchini (do NOT press to remove excess water)
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray (I like the one with flour) and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt, whisk to combine or if you have time, it is better to sift all the ingredients. Set aside.
Add to a large bowl: brown sugar, melted butter, oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Using a whisk stir the ingredients until fully combined and the mixture is smooth and shiny.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and gently fold in with a spatula, careful not to overmix.
Add the shredded zucchini and walnuts. Stir to combine.
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean, with no raw batter onto it. Start checking on the bread at the 50 minute mark, and if still needs to bake more, check on it every 5 minutes.
Once fully baked, remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. For easy removal, run a knife around the edges of the bread and gently remove from the pan onto a wire cooling rack, let it stand until slightly warm.
Cut into slices and serve. Enjoy!
Here is a step-by-step video of how to make the Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe:
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.