Chicken a la King is a creamy and rich chicken dish with mushrooms and pimientos. This is an easy recipe that is a great solution for leftovers!
Classic Chicken a la King
Chicken a la King is a flavorful and comforting dish made with chicken breasts. This part is probably the healthiest as it has the least fat, but this makes this slightly difficult to cook than other parts. But this recipe assures you of creamy and moist diced white meat every time!
This dish also has another ingredient that is lean and full of health benefits, which are mushrooms. Mushrooms are low in cholesterol, high in protein, and high in vitamins and minerals like potassium, selenium, vitamin D, and calcium. Not to mention, they are quite tasty, too!
More than the healthy ingredients, making this recipe from scratch ensures that it has no preservatives and is quite easy, too. Also, it is made with easy-to-find ingredients that you can put together in no time!
What is Chicken a la King?
It is a classic dish with diced chicken in a super creamy sauce. This makes a great topping to rice, or even pasta and toast.
Its history is uncertain as there are many versions. Early records show that this dish was created in the early 1900s. It has stood the test of time and it is definitely a comfort food worth cooking and eating over and over again.
How to make Chicken a la King?
- Prepare the ingredients: cooked chicken, broth, butter, garlic, onion, mushroom, bell pepper, all-purpose flour, whole milk or cream, green peas, jarred pimientos, salt, and pepper.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper in melted butter. This will take about five minutes until the ingredients are all tender. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, lower the heat to medium-low and put butter to melt.
- Then, put some flour, salt, and pepper and stir in the melted butter completely. This will take about a minute.
- Add in the milk and broth, stir, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken but if it gets too thick, dilute it with broth.
- Next, add the cooked mushrooms and bell peppers and then, the frozen peas, pimientos, and diced meat.
- Cook some more until everything is hot, and then, add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
How to cook the chicken for this recipe?
You have a few options for this. First, you can use leftover meat on hand, but make sure that that is not overly seasoned to affect the taste of it. Or, have a trip to the grocery store and find some frozen cooked chicken or some frozen shredded rotisserie chicken. They are perfect for this dish.
However, we enjoy making it from scratch as the flavors are amazing. So, we opt for the most ideal version and simply boil some meat at home, or by making it in the Instant Pot. In addition, we use both the meat and the broth for this recipe, which makes it even more delicious.
How to make Chicken a la King in the crockpot?
If you are going to use the slow cooker for this, use cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup instead of the broth plus cream.
Simply add in all the ingredients except for the frozen peas. Slow cook for about 5 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add in the peas.
Where to buy Swanson Chicken a la King?
This canned version is a childhood favorite. You might be having a difficult time looking for it in physical stores, but the good news is that it is available online! Just make a quick search and you will be able to find the sources.
How to store leftovers?
This dish makes for a great freezer meal. You can let the leftovers cool down first to ambient temperature. Then, freeze the leftovers in airtight, or freezer-friendly containers for up to 3 months.
To reheat leftovers, simply thaw them overnight in the fridge. Then, simply heat them up in a small skillet on the stove. In addition, for a faster thawing process, use the microwave.
- For a more colorful dish, you can add in differently colored bell peppers and instead of frozen peas, add mixed vegetables.
- Serve it over some pasta or rice.
- Also, this homemade recipe can be made with tuna. If you love seafood or tuna in general, it would be a great alternative to chicken. Simply replace the poultry with about 4 cups of tuna.
- For best results, we recommend freezing the leftovers in freezer bags with the air squeezed out. Also, on the outside of the bag, label with the date of cooking. This way you will know exactly when it was frozen. Put the bag of leftovers in the freezer lying flat.
- In addition, to spice this up, add a dash of cayenne, or red chili pepper flakes.
Easy Chicken a la King
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 30 mins