Poppy Seeds Walnut Banana Bread is soft, dense and full of flavor. This walnut banana bread is great as a snack, breakfast or dessert. Easy to make and heavenly delicious.
We are huge fans of Banana Bread, on our website you will find different varieties like the strawberry one, or this one full of chocolate. We also have a gluten-free version, one with Blueberry and obviously one with zucchini.
Poppy Seed Walnut Banana Bread
Poppy Seed Walnut Banana Bread is very soft, not too sweet, tender and deliciously moist. It is one of my all-time favorite snacks or a quick breakfast. This bread contains lots of banana flavor, which pairs well with the poppy seeds.
The walnuts add the perfect amount of crunchiness, the earthy flavor also pairs well with the poppy seeds and sweet aroma from the bananas. Each bite is bursting with texture and favors, and its especially good warmed up, with some butter on top.
Bananas Nutrition Benefits:
We always have some bananas on hand. This fruit is affordable and delicious. Did you know that it also has some cool health benefits?
- they have a high content of fiber.
- rich in vitamins and minerals like Potassium, Vitamin B6.
- know to improve heart and digestive health.
Do you need to soak Poppy Seeds before baking?
Cooking the seeds may reduce half of the contained morphine and codeine. Soaking the seeds for five minutes before using in a recipe, and then discarding the water can eliminate another half.
How Many Poppy Seeds is too many?
About one teaspoon for every seven pounds of body weight, someone weighing about 150 pounds (70 kilograms) should eat no more than seven tablespoons of raw poppy seeds at a time.
Looking for more Banana Desserts?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Very easy to make, with simple, easy to find and affordable ingredients.
- It is rich in walnut and banana flavor, which makes it a show stopper dessert.
- Minimum prep work and dishes to clean.
- Perfect for brunch parties and for bigger crowds.
- Easy to transport if you have to take it to a brunch party.
- Can be made 1 or 2 days in advance so you don’t have to worry about a last-minute dessert.
- Make a double batch and freeze some for later!
How to store:
- Store it wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4-5 days.
- Another option is to freeze it for later. Let the bread fully cool first, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and after that either wrap it in foil or add it to freezer bags. Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost before slicing.
- Make sure you use ripe bananas, not completely brown, but brown enough to easily mash the flesh.
- You can reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup if you would prefer to save some calories.
- The butter can be replaced with vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- Use your favorite nuts in this recipe, or skip them altogether.
- You can skip the poppy seeds if you are not a fan.
- Adding chocolate chips or other dried fruits is a great alternative.
Watch Recipe Video:
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1 hour 55 minutes Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted + 2 tbsp for greasing the pan)
- 5 oz whole milk yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan with two tablespoons of butter and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir in dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a high speed mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar, add the yogurt and whisk until well mixed.
Add in the egg, vanilla extract and mashed bananas, mix until smooth.
Fold in the dry ingredients into the mixture.
Using a spatula, carefully fold in the finely chopped walnuts and poppy seeds.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wood tester inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
Transfer the pan to a wire rack, and let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transfering from the pan onto the wire rack to cool completely.