Key Lime Pie Poke Cake is a delicious white cake filled with lime curd and lime flavored frosting. It’s the perfect summer refreshing dessert for your picnics or potlucks.
Best Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
With barbecue season around the corner, this Key Lime Pie Poke Cake is the perfect dessert to indulge everyone after some grilling time. Poke Cakes are easy to make and even easier to please the crowd.
This version of it is moist, rich, and citrusy. The lime brings the flavors up quite a bit, which makes it a well balanced and refreshing dessert. Also, it’s colorful and ideal for birthday parties or gatherings. Due to its green texture, this is also one of the main sweets we make every year for St. Patrick’s Day.
There is nothing to complain about it. This recipe will yield you a soft, tender and tangy cake that you will crave ever after. It’s one of those desserts that is affordable, refreshing, and just ideal for summer days!
How to make Key Lime Pie Poke Cake:
Bake the cake mix – Spray a 13 x9-inch cooking pan. Then, follow the box instruction as directed to bake the mix. Add water, oil, egg whites, and some lime zest. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes, or as instructed. Once cooked, let the pan cool for 10 to 20 minutes.
Make the holes – using a wooden spoon, make uniform holes throughout it.
Prepare the filling & whipped cream – In a bowl, stir together filling ingredients until it has a nice thick consistency. Then, pour it all over the baked cake, and spread evenly. The holes should be well filled.
Refrigerate – Once it is frosted, refrigerate it for about 1 hour prior to serving. Once refrigerated, sprinkle the top with some additional lime zest.
How do you make a poke cake with instant pudding mix?
Many followers have asked us if it is ok to use an instant pudding mix when making these types of desserts. Yes, you could.
This is a nice and quick solution if you do not have time or the frosting ingredients at hand. However, the pudding mix should be prepared once the batter is baked, cooled, and holed.
In a medium bowl, combine the milk and instant pudding mix, and pour it right away over the cake. You would follow the same instruction, just ensure to evenly and uniformly cover the base. Next, refrigerate it.
How to store Key Lime Poke Cake?
- Refrigerator – To store in the fridge, tightly wrap the pan and then cover with aluminum foil. It will last up to 5 days if properly stored.
- Freezer – You could freeze it as well, but remember to do so without the frosting. The reason is that the frosting will get soggy and water once is frozen and defrosted, and the cake will be just not as pleasant. Therefore, freeze it without the frosting, and coat the frosting once defrosted the following day, just prior to serving.
- Remember, just by using the lime the batter and the filling will not be green. If you want a deep green color, especially for St. Patrick’s Day, you will have to use some food gel coloring. Simply use a few drops it will be more than enough.
- Also, you can use lemons if desired.
- In addition, if limes are not available, feel free to use bottled juice.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr
Lime Whipped Cream:
Prepare White Cake:
Lime Whipped Cream: