Lime Curd Recipe [video]
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Lime Curd Recipe is made with real limes and tastes so much better than the store-bought version. Use it in tarts, cakes on any other desserts.
Homemade Lime Curd Recipe
With summer around the horizon, it is the perfect time to make some delicious pies or muffins with a freshly made Lime Curd. This is pretty much the same recipe as our original Lemon version of it. It is perfect for cake fillings, as a dip or spread.
You would wonder why to make this recipe at home?! First of all, it is very easy to make and quite delicious. It requires a few simple ingredients, and ready in less than 15 minutes. Second, it is way healthier than the canned version and does not contain any preservatives. So you can enjoy it safely.
Also, this recipe is very cheap to make at home. Instead of paying $3 to $4 a jar, you could easily make it on your own and simply store in the fridge for days to come. Give this recipe a try, and you will never go for the canned version again!
WHAT IS CURD?
This is a dessert usually made from various citrusy fruits that are used for topping on various sweets. Usually, the ingredients are cooked together, until they rich a thicker consistency.
What ingredients do you need to make a Lime Curd?
You will need the following:
- Unsalted butter
- Lime zest and juice
- Egg yolks
How to make Lime Curd?
Making it at home is quite simple.
- Start by washing the limes. Then, zest them by using a zester.
- Place the sugar, butter, lime juice and zest in a medium saucepan. Whisk the ingredients together till well combined, then place the saucepan over medium heat, and stir well until butter melts.
- Next, slowly mix in the eggs into the mixture and stir to blend the ingredients together.
- Reduce the heat to low, and continue whisking the mixture with a wooden spoon for another 10 minutes, or until the mixture consistency has thickened.
- Remove from heat, and let it cool prior to serving.
How long does Lime Curd Last?
Best to store it in a lidded jar or airtight container in the refrigerator. This way, it will last longer for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Also, you can freeze it. That way you can enjoy it year around. To do so, use a freezer-proof container that is properly sealed. Then, freeze it for up to 6 months. Prior to using it, thaw the curd overnight over the counter.
What is Lime Curd Used for?
This recipe can be used as a spread, dip, or topping on various desserts. Use it on homemade muffins, pancakes, toasts, macaroons, waffles, cupcakes, tarts, cakes, croissants. You can pretty much incorporate it with any baked sweets.
- Always zest the lime prior to squeezing. It is much easier that way.
- Also, try using fresh once, as they will give this recipe the best aroma.
- Because the cooking time is short, ensure to constantly whisk the mixture when cooking it. You do not want to burn it.
- The sweetness can be adjusted based on your liking. First, start with less sugar than suggested and whisk into the mixture. Taste and adjust if more is needed.
- In addition, you could use honey instead of sugar.
Watch recipe video:
Lime Curd Recipe
Lime Curd Recipe is made with real limes and tastes so much better than the store-bought version. Use it in tarts, cakes on any other desserts.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt optional
- Place a pot filled halfway with water over medium heat. Once the water starts boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and place on top of a metal bowl, to create a double boiler.
- Add all the ingredients to the metal bowl, except the egg yolks, and stir to combine.
- Whisk constantly until mixture thickens, add the egg yolks while whisking vigorously, and incorporate them into the mixture.
- Cook stirring until the curd reaches 160 degrees or coats the back of a spoon.
- Once done, transfer it into heatproof glass containers and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- It can be stored in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.