Cranberry Coffee Cake is the perfect fall dessert to partner with your favorite coffee! It is moist, sweet, and tart at the same time, and very easy to make!
Easy Cranberry Coffee Cake Recipe
Cranberry Coffee Cake is another recipe in our growing list of great cake recipes! This is a hit for coffee lovers like me, and even for those who don’t drink coffee! It is this good!
The flavors in this dessert complement each other well. The orange zest and the berries are a match made in heaven.
The cinnamon enhances that, too. You can taste it in the topping and the filling.
Speaking of topping, it has a crumbly streusel topping which I love. The texture complements the moist and rich cake just perfectly.
Having a get-together with your friends? Then, this is the perfect time to make this dessert!
What is a coffee cake?
It is a kind of pastry that is served with coffee. It may or may not have actual coffee in it, but usually, it is topped with streusel and has nuts and spices.
Since it can be fruit-based just like how it is in this recipe, there are many variations. Aside from this recipe, you can check out our cherry cream cheese version!
Do you have to thaw frozen cranberries before baking?
No. The fruit is almost water in composition and thawing it might ruin it. Don’t worry, it will be perfectly fine when you throw it in frozen.
Is it better to bake with fresh or frozen cranberries?
Frozen ones are as good as the fresh ones even without thawing. You can rinse first in a colander, and use just like how fresh ones are to be used in a recipe.
How do you make a cranberry coffee cake?
- Prepare the pan: Grease it and dust some flour.
- Prepare the batter: In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients first. Then, mix in the butter until crumbly. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until fluffy. Add the fruits. Pour half of the batter in the pan.
- Make the filling: Simply mix the ingredients until crumbly. Distribute over the batter and then, pour over the remaining batter.
- Add the topping: Mix sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Then, mix in the melted butter with a fork. Add the flour and orange zest. Mix everything and then, sprinkle on top along with the berries.
- Bake: Put it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for about 45 to 50 minutes. Then, allow it to cool at room temperature before serving.
- Serve: Prepare the glaze by combining sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well, then, pour on the top of the cake before serving.
You can use the same recipe but alter the fruit. Instead of the cranberry, you can use raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, or a combination of these fruits.
How to Store Cranberry Coffee Cake:
- Refrigerate: Covered with wrap or foil, this can stay good in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freeze: You can keep it in the freezer for 2 to 3 months. Remember to let it cool completely, then, wrap it in plastic wrap. Put it in a freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
- When thawing, you can slice a single portion or just enough so you need not thaw the whole thing.
- You may substitute fresh cranberries instead of frozen ones. And if you have excess, you can freeze those by arranging them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Then, flash-freeze them in the freezer. Then, you can put them in a freezer bag. This way, you can avoid having one solid lump of frozen berries.
- You can add walnuts or pecans if you like.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Total time: 1 hr 20 mins