Blueberry Crisp Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Blueberry Crisp is an easy dessert recipe made with frozen or fresh blueberries. It is ready in under one hour, and is best served with an almond topping and vanilla ice cream!
This is such a wonderful and classic comfort dessert, that is perfect for any occasions. For other quick and delicious desserts, check out the Creamy Grape Salad Recipe, Best Instant Pot Rice Pudding, and No Bake Peanut Butter Bars.
Easy Homemade Blueberry Crisp
Blueberry Crisp rivals any dessert on our list with the fact that it is so quick and simple to prepare. It has a nice texture, loaded with delicious plump blueberries, and finished with a crispy and buttery topping.
This recipe is a breeze to do and it’s so versatile that you can do this dessert with any fruits in season. The topping can be done ahead of time. Place in plastic bags and stored in the freezer for future use. You can also combine blueberries with another soft fruit like peaches.
If you need to do a quick dessert, just prepare your fruits, toss it in sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Then, grab a bag of your premade topping and you are ready to pop it in the oven! We like using soft fruits because they are faster to bake. We love doing this recipe when blueberries are in season, and we’re sure it would be your favorite go-to dessert too!
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY CRISP?
First, grab some fresh or frozen blueberries. Toss in some sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Flavor with lemon juice and lemon zest. Lemon gives this dessert a surprising tang to it. Then, lay the fruits in a 2 – quart baking pan.
Next, prepare the topping. Follow the recipe below and mix it with a fork until it’s crumbly. Then distribute evenly on top of the blueberries.
Last, bake the dish in the oven, until it is golden brown.
HOW MUCH CORNSTARCH is IN BLUEBERRY CRISP?
Combined with flour, you should use enough cornstarch to cover evenly all the blueberries that you are using. Flour and cornstarch help to contain the moisture from the blueberries while baking. Also, they thicken the juices released by the burst blueberries.
HOW TO MAKE A LOW-FAT BLUEBERRY CRISP?
To make this recipe low fat, use a combination of lite butter and maple syrup.
WHAT TEMPERATURE TO BAKE BLUEBERRY CRISP?
Before baking, you have to ensure that the oven is preheated to 375 degrees F, and then bake it for about 50 minutes till golden b. You need this temperature to ensure that the topping is crisp and the fruits are properly cooked.
DO YOU SERVE BLUEBERRY CRISP HOT OR COLD?
You can actually do both. We love serving this hot, topped with our favorite vanilla ice cream. But this dessert is so delicious that you can eat it cold while binge-watching your favorite television shows!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY CRISP?
It’s easy to make this recipe gluten-free. Just replace the regular flour and cornstarch with gluten-free flour, and presto, you can enjoy a gluten-free dessert!
CAN YOU FREEZE BLUEBERRY CRISP?
Certainly! But before transferring it in containers or ziplock bags and placing it in the freezer, ensure that it is completely cool. Then, store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
HOW TO STORE BLUEBERRY CRISP?
After the dessert is completely cooled down, you can cut it in squares and transfer it in airtight containers or large zip lock bags and store in the refrigerator. This will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
RECIPE TIPS AND NOTES:
- Melt the butter before mixing it in all the other ingredients for the topping, to ensure even distribution.
- Also, it is important to preheat the oven to make the topping crisp and the fruits bake properly.
- If baking large quantities, ensure that the dessert is cooled down completely before transferring in airtight containers. Place immediately in the refrigerator or freezer.
- To reheat, thaw out completely and place in preheated oven to heat up.
- If you want to do a low-fat version of this recipe, ensure that you are using pure maple syrup to substitute for the butter. Reduce the amount of sugar needed.
- For a crumble topping texture, we recommend using a bit more butter.
- In addition, you can substitute blackberries for blueberries. It will be equally delicious!
Blueberry Crisp is an easy dessert recipe made with frozen or fresh blueberries. It is ready in under one hour, and is best served with vanilla ice cream!
- 6 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add blueberries to a large bowl, and add sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, flour, and cornstarch. Toss to combine and transfer mixture to a lightly greased 2qt baking dish.
- To another medium bowl, add all the Topping ingredients and combine with a fork until crumbled. Sprinkle the mixture over the blueberries.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Cool slightly and serve warm with ice-cream.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.