Last updated on February 5th, 2024 at 03:56 pmJump to Recipe
Phyllo Dough Cake or Crinkle Cake
Phyllo Dough Cake is also known as phyllo crinkle cake or TikTok crinkle cake, a delicious and easy to make custard cake with berries. This easy recipe is made with crispy crunchy sheets of phyllo dough with melted butter spread on top. Then, it is topped with some simple custard and berries. The crisp top of the crinkle cake is sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar for a sweet finish to this easy dessert. We love easy, no-fuss desserts, and if you are like us, and are looking for something easy to make, these Strawberry Shortcakes should be on your list!
This phyllo crinkle cake is based on a Middle Eastern dessert called muakacha, which means wrinkled in Arabic. It was first seen on TikTok and went viral in hours. In the traditional Mediterranean crinkle cake, they sometimes use chai spices or cinnamon as well as rosewater and simple syrup. Others have their own secret recipe for crinkle cake.
- Phyllo dough sheets: You will need six to eight sheets of phyllo dough depending on the size of the dish you are using.
- Melted butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Eggs: Make sure your eggs are warmed to room temperature, so they are easier to combine.
- Granulated sugar: White granulated sugar is perfect for this recipe.
- Half and half: You could also use heavy cream or whole milk.
- Berries: You can use any kind of berries you like or skip them completely.
- Powdered sugar: Or confectioners’ sugar.
- Lemon zest and lemon juice
How to make phyllo dough cake from scratch?
- Preheat oven: First, preheat the oven to 350 F and prep your baking dish.
- Crinkle the phyllo sheets: In the meantime, fold up phyllo dough accordion-style to fit in the bottom of a prepared pan using 2 sheets of phyllo at a time.
- Add butter: Next, spread melted butter evenly on top and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Make custard mixture: During the first bake, add eggs and sugar to a medium bowl or measuring cup and whisk well. Add the half and half in a medium bowl and stir well. Add lemon zest and juice.
- Pour custard mixture on top: Next, remove the baked phyllo from the oven and pour the custard evenly on top.
- Bake crinkle cake again: Immediately, place berries on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle and serve: Last, sprinkle powdered sugar on crinkle cake and serve.
- Simple syrup: Instead of powdered sugar, you could top your phyllo cake with simple syrup.
- Add extract: Almond or vanilla extract added to the custard mixture makes an even more delicious dessert.
- Vanilla ice cream: Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream when serving for a truly decadent dessert.
- Chopped nuts: Feel free to add other delicious toppings to your crinkle dessert like chopped pistachios (or crushed pistachios), pecans, walnuts, or cashews.
- More flavor: For even more flavor, add some lemon zest, orange zest, or orange blossom water to your custard and top with dried rose petals.
- Add chocolate: Another way to make this delicious dessert even better is with some chocolate chips.
Frequently asked questions
What is phyllo dough?
Similar to puff pastry with less fat, phyllo dough, or filo dough, is a thin dough made with flour, water, and a bit of oil or butter. The large, thin sheets are typically used to make a phyllo pastry dessert like baklava or borek in Middle Eastern and Balkan cuisines. You can usually find it in the freezer aisle near the pastry dough and frozen pie crust.
How do I make simple syrup?
All you need for simple syrup, also known as sugar syrup, is sugar and water. You can also add a bit of lemon juice. Bring it to a gentle boil in a small saucepan over medium heat for about eight minutes or until syrup forms a stringy consistency. Then, turn it off and let it cool and thicken. Pour syrup on top of the phyllo dough when it is done. Remember, if it is too thin, you end up with soggy cake.
How can I make eggless custard?
To make eggless custard, use a half cup whole milk, a half cup of sweetened condensed milk, and a half cup of heavy cream mixed with a half cup of flour. Heat in a small saucepan over medium heat until it boils. Then, let it simmer on low until it is thick.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: You can store your leftover phyllo dough cake in an airtight container in the fridge for four days.
- Freeze: It is also safe to freeze your phyllo dough cake for up to three months. First, wrap it in plastic wrap and place crinkle cake in a freezer-safe container.
- Thaw: Thaw frozen leftovers in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat: Microwave individual portions to reheat or you can eat it cold.
More easy cake recipes to try:
Phyllo Dough Cake or Phyllo Crinkle
- 1 package Phyllo dough
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Berries: blueberries and raspberries
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Fold up phyllo dough accordion-style to fit in the bottom of the prepared pan using 2 sheets of phyllo at a time.
- Next, brush and pour evenly the phyllo with the melted butter evenly on top and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add eggs and sugar to a medium bowl and whisk well. Add the half and half, lemon juice and zest, and stir well.
- Next, remove the baked phyllo from the oven and pour the custard evenly on top.Add your favorite berries on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle the crinkle cake with powdered sugar, top with fresh berries, and serve.
- This easy crinkle cake recipe comes from the Middle East, but it was popularized more recently on TikTok.
- Line your pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick baking spray to keep your phyllo dough from sticking.
- Make extra and put them in aluminum foil trays for gifts or potluck meals.
- Similarly, you could substitute unsalted butter with vegetable, olive, or coconut oil.
- Use dark brown sugar instead of white sugar for a richer flavor.
- Thaw your phyllo dough in the refrigerator overnight before using. Just keep it covered with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap, so it does not dry out.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations