Mint Chocolate Chip Oreo Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Mint Chocolate Chip Oreo Cupcakes have a refreshing mint flavor, sweet chocolate chips and are topped with creamy Oreo buttercream frosting.
Yesterday I have shared an Oreo Nutella Cake that was to die for, but I have mentioned in the post that the recipe makes a lot of Oreo Buttercream, and to put it to some good use I made some Mint Chocolate Chip Oreo Cupcakes and topped them with the leftover Oreo Buttercream. Now, thats how you find solutions to real problems! So proud of myself!
These cupcakes are so easy to make, they would make a fun project for the kids too. The cupcake batter is ready in 30 minutes, and in the meantime you can work on that delicious Oreo Buttercream, and definitely eat a few Oreos during this process.
The cupcakes are soft and tender, loaded with sweet chocolate chips and a subtle mint aroma. This is my all time favorite cupcake batter, its so easy to make and it works well in both, cupcakes and cakes.
The mint chocolate chip oreo cupcakes are topped with a hefty amount of Oreo buttercream, that is made with a few cups of Oreo crumbs. The buttercream is rich and decadent and I can just eat it with a spoon, its that good. To be safe, I sent a dozen of these cupcakes to my son’s pre-school and they all loved the sweet gift.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened + more for buttering the pans
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Oreo Buttercream:
- 2½ cups butter
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups Oreo crumbs (about 30 Oreos)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Extra Oreo crumbs for garnish
- Mini Oreo cookies for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line one 12 cups standard muffin tin or two 24-cup mini-muffin tins with cupcake liners. I used a 12 cups standard muffin tin, plus a 6 cups one.
- In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, whisk softened butter on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and combine with butter for 30-40 seconds.
- Add milk, oil, mint extract and eggs one at a time, mix on medium-high for one minute. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Using a spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared tin. Bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean and rotate the tin about halfway through baking. Bake mini cupcakes for 11-13 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, and then remove from the tin and let them cool completely on the rack.
- Oreo Buttercream:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the wire attachment, beat together butter until smooth.
- Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Pause to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla extract, Oreo crumbs and remaining sugar, mix until smooth.
- Add milk until you get a smooth, desired consistency.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to three days. To use once refrigerated, slowly allow to reach room temperature and then beat on low speed until the buttercream is smooth before using
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes sprinkle with Oreo crumbs before frosting dries to ensure that they stick.
- The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1-2 day.