Unicorn Cake is a moist, colorful, and fun dessert to serve on any occasion and themed party! It has grown popular recently and here’s how to make it! Watch the recipe video below and see how it’s made!
It is as heavenly as the other desserts that we have done in the past like the Galaxy Cupcakes, as colorful as the Mini Rainbow Cheesecakes with Whipped Cream, and as sweet as our exciting Mint Chocolate Chip Truffles!
Unicorn Poke Cake
Unicorn Cake is every kid’s dream! This recipe yields moist, decadent, and creamy poke cake that is best served at any party! Inspired by the mythical creature, this dessert is also light and pretty!
It has pastel colors that this particular dessert is famous for. Also, you can mix and match according to your party’s theme. With this easy recipe, you can make your party an unforgettable one!
For this version, you do not need any fondant or extreme decorating skills. In fact, you will only need ten main ingredients and less than 2 hours of prep time. That is how easy this version is, so try it now!
What is a unicorn?
It is a magical and mythical creature that is visualized as a white horse with one horn on its forehead and a pair of angel wings. It is associated with femininity and it symbolizes purity!
What colors to use in a unicorn cake
As it is usually associated with girls, any pastel colors will be great to use especially with white as its general color. For this version, we used blue, purple, and pink but you can add or omit any color that you want. You can even use all the colors of the rainbow.
And though it is usually in pastel, you can also use brighter and deeper hues. As long as it is colorful and fits your style, it is your call.
How to make a unicorn poke cake
- Prepare to bake: Follow the instructions on the packaging of the mix to prepare the batter and add some vanilla. Distribute evenly the resulting batter into three bowls and add food coloring. Stir well. Fill a 13×9 baking dish by randomly transferring spoonfuls of the batter of alternating colors.
- Bake: Pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes and bake at 350°F. Once done, let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Poke: In a bowl, mix together condensed milk and white chocolate and then, put in the microwave. Poke holes on the sheet of cake and pour the milk-chocolate mixture on top. Distribute evenly.
- Prepare the pudding: Follow the instructions on the packaging of the pudding mix and once it starts to thicken, pour over the cake and fill the holes.
- Decorate: Add the whipped topping as frosting, and refrigerate for an hour. Garnish with sprinkles.
How to decorate a unicorn cake?
Most common decorations are the fondant horn, two fondant ears, two fondant eyes, and buttercream rosettes formed like a mane. But this could be tricky, and making fondant could be difficult. So, your next best option is to use sprinkles!
Most baking supply stores sell decorative sprinkles of various shapes, sizes, and colors. Pick out the flowers or stars ones and sprinkle on top of the mane.
There is no hard rule in decorating it, just be creative!
Can you make unicorn poke cake in advance?
Yes! You can bake the cake first, and then, frost it the next day. Unfrosted, it can keep for a week at room temperature. You can also keep the frosting separately in the refrigerator contained in an airtight container. This can keep for up to a week.
Hence, you can partially make everything then, assemble when needed.
How long is unicorn cake good for?
Since this has whipped cream, it can stay good for up to two days only, well-packed in the refrigerator.
How to freeze it?
Tightly wrap the unfrosted cake with plastic, and then put it in the freezer. This can keep for up to two months.
- You can also use a marshmallow frosting to make a fluffy version using the same colorful batter. On a skillet, melt marshmallows in water, butter, and powdered sugar. Pour on top and refrigerate for two hours.
- Make use of printable unicorn designs for easy decoration.
- Don’t skimp on the sprinkles!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr
- 1 package white cake mix (plus ingredients needed to prepare the cake mix)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Blue Gel Food Coloring
- Purple Gel Food Coloring
- Pink Gel Food Coloring
- 2 cups condensed milk
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 3.4 ounces package vanilla pudding mix
- 3.4 ounces package strawberry pudding mix
- 4 cups milk
- 8 ounces container whipped topping
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray and set aside.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla extract.
- Divide batter evenly into 3 bowls. Stir blue food color into one bowl. Stir purple food color into the second bowl. Stir pink food color into the third bowl. Alternating colors, drop heaping spoonfuls of batter randomly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Poke large holes all over the cake using the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add condensed milk and white chocolate to a medium bowl, microwave for 1 minute and stir to combine until melted. If needed microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Pour the mixture evenly on top of the poked cake.
- Prepare the pudding mixtures per package directions, usually by mixing each one with 2 cups of milk. Stir until mixture begins to thicken and immediately pour vanilla pudding over the cake, filling the holes.
- Next, add the strawberry pudding and distribute evenly.
- Let the cake come to room temperature and after that refrigerate if for at least 6 hours.
- Frost cake with whipped topping. Garnish with sprinkles. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.