Jello Shots are classic party cocktails made with flavored gelatin and vodka poured into small cups. They are festive, colorful, and the perfect party cocktail that adults will love! Lighten up your party with these colorful treats!
Serving these at your next party will just amp up the fun! Looking for more party ideas? Christmas Punch, Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball, and Taco Dip can simply be what you are looking for. Your guests will absolutely love them!
Vodka Jello Shots are probably the most beloved party cocktails ever, and for a good reason 🙂 They are tasty, super easy to make with only 2 ingredients, and can accommodate large gatherings. Also, you can use pretty much any color and flavor of jello to make them. Just perfect for any party!
This recipe proves that gelatin is not only for making cakes, puddings, or mousse. Aside from making sweet snacks out of the gelatin, this recipe gives it a twist! They may look cute and bright in color, but they are not as harmless as you would think 🙂 They are alcohol-infused, so be ready!
What adult party is complete without alcohol? It is fun to drink occasionally. It is the overall feeling and the enjoyment of having a shared experience with friends that I like.
But getting drunk is not my thing, nor friends’, so I am sharing this quick recipe for you to try. You will still enjoy having vodka but in the form of jello which we have all loved growing up!
Did you know that gelatin has been used in the culinary world since the 15th century? Its uses and flavors have also evolved. We have grown to love the simple desserts that our moms used to make utilizing this ingredient. It is not surprising that even alcohol-infused ones became a hit!
- Jello: Use your favorite color and flavors. I like using flavored Jell-o gelatin and make various colors. Berry blue, lemon, and orange are my personal favorite! I never use unflavored gelatin to make this recipe.
- Water: Used to dissolve the gelatine.
- Vodka: Feel free to use your favorite type. Also, you can use white rum or gin.
- Jello shot cups: You can find them in any grocery store.
- 1.5 Cup of cold water
How to Make Vodka Jello Shots?
This is a super easy recipe to make. For the exact steps and measures, please see the recipe card below. Also, I have attached a short video tutorial with detailed steps. But the general steps are as follows:
- Boil: The gelatin needs hot water to dissolve the jello powder, so the first step is to boil some water.
- Dissolve: To a large bowl, add the boiling water into the gelatin powder and whisk to dissolve.
- Add the liquor: Then, add cold water to balance out the heat of the boiling water initially added then, stir in the vodka.
- Pour: Prepare your containers and pour the mixture into shot glasses.
- Refrigerate: Put the shots in the fridge for them to set and serve when ready.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are Jello Shots?
Simply put, it is an alcoholic party drink put in portions of jello dissolved in water and mixed with liquor. They are usually placed in small glasses to set.
This drink was invented in the 1950s in an attempt to sneak in alcohol at an army facility where restrictions were in place. But as early as 1862, there had been a recorded recipe of gelatin being mixed with the punch.
Which vodka is the best to use for jello shots?
Since vodka is the front and center ingredient here, I would recommend using decent quality vodka in the $15 price range. For this budget range, you can get the Absolute or Smirnoff brand.
Obviously, the more expensive brands will work as well, and be smoother. Just do not use the cheapest, bottom-shelf big plastic bottle!
Can I use flavored vodka?
Yes! You can even try different alcohol and other types of liquors, and make fun flavor combinations of them. Here are some great suggested combinations and different flavors to try:
- Red: cherry gelatin with watermelon vodka
- Black: Black vodka and raspberry or grape gelatin
- Blue gelatin: both in blueberry flavor
- Tropical: Use pineapple vodka with orange or strawberry gelatin!
- Hot Buttered Rum: Replace the vodka with hot buttered rum and use lemon gelatin.
- Fireball: Dissolve orange or cherry jello in boiling water, then, add whiskey.
- Tequila Sunrise: Dissolve cherry jello in boiling orange juice, then, add tequila once cooled.
How long does it take Jello Shots to set?
It sets anytime between 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours but that depends on the amount per container. The shallower your container is, the faster it may solidify.
To fasten the process, put them at the back of the freezer. They will be harder than normal and may turn grainy. But they will not freezer rock-solid and you will still be able to enjoy them.
How much alcohol is in each serving?
Using the ratio described in this recipe, each serving will amount to 10 percent alcohol by volume. If you will add more vodka, the time it takes to solidify will be longer.
Can you get drunk off Jello Shots?
Yes, there is a possibility! Served at parties, guests could easily lose track of how much they consume and be oblivious of the liquor disguised in the colorful treats.
How to Store them?
Refrigerate: Keep them refrigerated for up to 4 days. Just keep them in airtight containers.
Freeze: I would not recommend freezing the shots as they won’t get solid. Also, the texture might get icy.
More party drinks to try:
- If you want to avoid the alcohol but still want to give your jello a twist, simply use apple cider or lime juice, peach schnapps, or pineapple juice.
- Also, aside from standard vodka, try using schnapps, Malibu rum, whiskey, tequila, or gin.
- Place your shot glasses or containers on a baking sheet or pan prior to filling them up with a mixture. This way, it will be easier to place the sheet pan with all the cups at once in the refrigerator.
- I like using small plastic cups as they are more festive. However, you can easily use larger plastic containers or cups as well.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired, to make it creamy.
- To double the recipe double the ingredients and use 1 cup of vodka.
Vodka Jello Shots
For ONE Flavor:
- 3 ounces box Jello (pick your favorite flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups water (divided)
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Add one cup of water to a small saucepan and heat until it's boiling.
- Add Jello powder to a medium bowl and pour the hot water on top, stir until completely dissolved.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup cold water and whisk until combined.
- Stir in the vodka until thoroughly blended.
- Pour the Jello mixture into plastic shot cups and refrigerate for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours until they are firm, then serve.
- Store any leftover shots in the refrigerator.
- Repeat the same process with other Jello flavors.