Dulce de Leche Bars are stuffed with walnuts, coconut and Dulce de Leche, topped with a crunchy, buttery topping.
Dulce de Leche Bars
These Dulce de Leche Bars literally melt in your mouth with all their caramely glory. Also, they are truly addicting in a nice, satisfying way. I absolutely love using brown butter in my desserts. Because when mixed with the sugar, it adds an irresistible caramel flavor that makes any dessert so much better. The distinctive, sweet, caramel scent will fill your kitchen and your joy!
The Dulce de Leche Bars are a beautiful combination of textures and flavors. The first layer is a buttery shortbread, topped with a hefty amount of Dulce de Leche. Then, sweet coconut flakes and chopped walnuts are added for some chewiness and crunchiness. The walnuts add a beautiful flavor and go so well with the caramel. Lastly, the bars are topped with a brown butter crumb topping, that is the perfect way to end a decadent bite. They are indulgent on all the levels. A square is more than enough to satisfy your sweet tooth and its also hearty and delicious.
Why you’ll love these Dulce de Leche Bars
- Firstly, they are very easy to make and ready under 40 minutes.
- Flavorful and indulging, they can be a perfect snack.
- They are rich in dulce de leche and walnuts flavor.
- Perfect cookies for the holiday season or special occasion.
- Lastly, they can be made 1 or 2 days in advance so you don’t have to worry about a last minute dessert.
Can you freeze the Dulce de Leche Bars?
First, cool the Dulce de Leche Bars completely. Then, fully wrap the bars in plastic wrap, tightly. After that, wrap in aluminum foil or place in freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 mins
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces Dulce de Leche)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with baking spray or butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix sugar with salt and set aside.
- Add butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium high heat until browned and fragrant. The butter will turn a deep golden brown color, this may take 3-4 minutes. Stir continuously and remove from heat when golden brown.
- Pour the butter over the salt and sugar, mix until combined. Whisk in the egg and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula, stir in the flour and mix just until incorporated. The dough will be very thick, almost like play dough. This is ok, if needed use your hands to incorporate last bits of flour.
- Divide the dough in half, and press half of the dough into the bottom of the greased pan. Top with Dulce de Leche, followed by coconut and walnuts. Crumble on top the remaining dough, pressing it slightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing. Serve!