Chocolate Chip Bagels are homemade New York style that are sweet, dense and chewy. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, these are the most indulgent bagels.
Chocolate Chip Bagels
Have you ever made homemade bagels? I am an avid baker, most of the time that I spend in the kitchen is usually developing a new sweet recipe. Savory food is something I love, but my heart leans toward the flour, the sugar and the butter – Amen to that! I baked a lot of cakes, I played with yeast, but never actually made homemade bagels. However, this changed the past weekend, when I finally made these Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bagels. I must say that while the process is lengthy and it involves a few steps, the homemade version tastes so much better!
It wasn’t hard to decide on a flavor, obviously I couldn’t go just with a plain bagel. If you are familiar with my recipes, you know that “plain” is not the word to describe them. Nothing against a plain bagel, I enjoy them actually quiet a lot. However, I figured that if I put all this effort into bagels they better be amazing. So I settled at Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bagels, because you can never go wrong with chocolate!
The Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bagels turned out mouth watering. They were literally perfect. First, they are crispy and shiny on the outside, with a soft and dense center. Also, sweet, with a subtle chocolate flavor from the cacao, and with pieces of delicious chocolate chips thru them. Similarly, they tasted exactly like my beloved New York style bagels. In addition, I followed all the traditional steps, boiled them in honey, for that shiny and sweet finishing. Then, I dipped the bottoms in a little corn meal for some extra texture.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bagels
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bagels:
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 packages yeast)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 quarts water (to boil)
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup corn meal (on a serving plate)
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bagels:
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer place: yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix 3½ cups of flour with the salt and cocoa powder.
- Fit the electric mixer with the hook attachment, add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture and start mixing on the lowest speed.
- If the dough is very soft and sticky add the rest of the flour (1 cup). Mix on low speed for about 8 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl (with 1 tablespoon of oil), cover with plastic wrap and cover the bowl with a towel. Let it rise until doubled in size - preferably 2-3 hours. Make sure you don't place the dough very close to a burning stove, it will make it melt and give it a glue like texture. Place it in a place that is warm enough, like room temperature.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, grease it with the remaining ½ tablespoon of canola oil, or baking spray.
- After rising punch down and divide the dough into 6-7 balls for somewhat large bagels.
- Take one dough ball, knead the chocolate chips (about 1 tablespoon) into the dough until they are evenly dispersed. Roll each lump of dough into a ball making the top as smooth as possible. Flatten it slightly in your palm and using your fingers poke a hole in the middle. Widen the hole to 1 - 1½ inch as it will close a bit as the bagels rise.
- Place the bagel on the greased parchment paper 2 inches one from each other. Repeat with the remaining dough balls. Cover the bagels with a towel and let them rise for 1 hour.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil, when the water is boiling add the honey and stir.
- Pop your pan of bagels into the oven under the broil setting. Broil about 2 minutes on one side, flip the bagels to the other side, and broil for another 2 minutes. Watch the bagels closely, as we are just creating a crust, so they will hold their shape during boiling. Do not let the bagels turn brown.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Remove the bagels from oven and in dependence of how large your pot of boiling water is add 2 or 3 bagels at a time. Boil for 1 minute, and flip on the other side and boil for another minute. Remove bagels from water and place on a cooling wire rack to drain the excess of water. Repeat for the remaining bagels.
- Drain for 1-2 minutes, dip the bottom of the bagels into corn meal and transfer the bagels back to the pan. Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. (20 minutes was enough for my oven). Bagels are done when they are golden brown and shiny.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with honey mascarpone.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the wire attachment combine the mascarpone cheese with the honey, whip until fluffy. Do not over mix, or you will curd the mascarpone.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the whipped honey mascarpone into individual small plates.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.