Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin Roll is light, airy, and creamy, loaded with warm fall flavors and spices, and filled with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
Servings 10 slices
Pumpkin Roll Cake:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar to sprinkle on the towel
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar optional - use white if you don't have it on hand
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
Cream cheese frosting:
- 1 cup walnuts chopped - optional, also pecans can be used
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan and line it with wax paper. Lightly grease and flour paper.
Lay a cotton kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle it with a thin layer of 1/4 cup powdered sugar, or more if needed.
In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and foamy.
Beat in the pumpkin puree.
Stir in the flour mixture into the egg mixture using a spatula, do NOT over mix.
Spread the batter evenly onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts on top if using.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
Remove the pan from the oven and immediately loosen and turn the cake onto the prepared towel.
Carefully peel off the wax paper and roll up the cake and towel together, starting with a narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, a little at a time.
Once the cake has cooled to room temperature, carefully unroll it.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake and reroll it back.
Wrap the dessert in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1-2 hours.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 304mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 2967IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg