Swedish Pot Roast
Swedish Pot Roast is oven-roasted until fork-tender before getting smothered in a creamy, buttery, and rich mushroom gravy.
Servings 6 servings
Season the roast:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 pounds English shoulder roast
For the gravy:
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons beef juices from the cooked roast
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- Salt and pepper black pepper
- 2 cups milk
Season the roast:
Mix together the seasonings in a small bowl and rub well all over the meat.
Place a large skillet over medium heat, and heat the oil.
Once hot, brown the roast on all sides until nicely seared and browned.
Place the meat into a 2 1/2 quart dutch oven and cover it with the lid.
Set aside the skillet with the dripping for the gravy later.
Bake the roast for 3-4 hours or until fork-tender.
Place the skillet with the drippings over medium heat and add the butter, melt it and add the mushrooms. Cook them stirring until nicely browned and tender.
Add two tablespoons of the juices from the roast from the dutch oven.
Add in the flour, beef bouillon, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
Slowly pour 1/2 cup of milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and whisk until smooth and bring to a low boil, whisking constantly.
Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. Remove from heat.
Serve the pot roast and gravy over mashed potatoes.
Garnish with fresh parsley.
- The gravy will continue to become thicker as it cools down, so don’t go overboard with simmering it.
- Sear the beef well to lock in the flavors and give the dish a nice color.
- You can use whole or 2% milk.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 894mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 477IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 4mg