Instant Pot Mexican Beef Stew
Instant Pot Mexican Beef Stew is incredibly tender, packed with veggies, and filled with unmistakable Tex-Mex flavor from the taco spices!
Servings 6 servings
- 2 pounds chuck roast trimmed and cut into 2-3 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely diced4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic whole
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can 14oz diced tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 bell peppers any color - chopped
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 cups beef broth low-sodium, more if needed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 pound mini red potatoes peeled and cut into halves
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Turn on Saute mode, add and heat the oil. Once it’s hot, sear the floured beef until browned. Remove and set aside.
Deglaze the pot using the red wine, and scrape with a wooden spoon the bits that stuck to the bottom.
Add the butter, and saute the onion for 2-3 minutes, add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, chipotle, and taco spice blend, tomato paste, Worcestershire, lime zest and juice, diced tomatoes, followed by the broth. Stir to combine.
Add the beef:
Add the carrots, celery, potatoes stir and add the beef on top.
Add the thyme and bay leaves.
Open the pot:
Discard the thyme and the bay leaves.
If you prefer a thicker stew, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water until dissolved and add the sulyy to the IP, cook on Saute until thickened.
Stir, taste and adjust for salt and pepper and serve.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1639mg | Potassium: 1340mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6873IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 5mg