Shakshuka is a festive dish that has eggs on a bed of tomatoes! If you are bored with the usual egg recipes, then, try this quick and easy recipe!
Servings 3 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (28-ounce) whole plum tomatoes with juices chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or as needed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium heat and oil and wait for it to start simmering.
Add onion and bell pepper, stir and cook until very soft for about 15-20 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add cumin, paprika, coriander, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add tomato paste and stir. Pour in chopped plum tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a low and simmer until tomatoes have thickened, for about 10 minutes.
Gently crack eggs into the skillet over the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle crumbled feta on top.
Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and bake until eggs are just set, for 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 444mg | Sodium: 916mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2450IU | Vitamin C: 55.7mg | Calcium: 205mg | Iron: 3.4mg