Best Classic Chili Recipe
The Best Classic Chili recipe comes together in just under one hour. It is made with ground beef, beans, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound 85 or 90% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeds removed and diced
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces canned cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn rinsed and drained
In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil and then saute the onion in it for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the ground beef, and cook for about 6-7 minutes until no longer pink and the onions are soft. Break the meat with a wooden spoon.
Drain the fat and add the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, stir well while cooking for about 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Stir well.
Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once cooked, remove the pot from the heat and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 1306mg | Potassium: 1280mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1425IU | Vitamin C: 31.4mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 7.8mg