Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken
Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken makes the juiciest, most tender chicken thanks to the fresh butter, zesty garlic, lemons, and aromatic stuffing.
Servings 8 servings
- 4-5 pound whole chicken room temperature with giblets and neck removed from the cavity
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon zested first and juiced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika optional - for a darker color when roasting
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head garlic roughly peeled and cut in half horizontally through the middle
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary tied together
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon quartered
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Lightly grease with olive oil a roasting pan and set aside.
Clean the chicken, rinse it under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels. Remove any excess fat and leftover feathers.
In a small bowl combine olive oil, melted butter, and lemon juice, stir well. Place the chicken on a cutting board or into the prepared pan and pour the butter mixture over the chicken. Use your hands to get it under the skin and inside the cavity.
Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper on the inside and outside. Sprinkle on top with the parsley.
In a medium bowl combine 4 tablespoons of butter with the chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh thyme, lemon zest, and minced garlic, add the paprika if using. Stir to combine.
Rub the mixture all over the chicken, and get it under the skin as well.
Stuff the chicken with the halved garlic head, fresh rosemary sprigs, fresh thyme sprigs, and the quartered lemon. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
Place chicken breast-side up into the prepared roasting pan and roast for 1 hour and 15-25 minutes. Baste halfway through cooking, and roast the chicken until juices run clear when it is pierced with a skewer.
Baste again when the chicken is done roasting, after which turn on the broil and broil it for 2-3 minutes, just until golden.
Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Use the pan juices to drizzle them over the chicken.
Serve with fresh lemon wedges on the side.
Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 701IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg