Zucchini Tomato Soup is homemade, creamy and chunky with only 5 ingredients and is ready in 40 minutes.
Zucchini Tomato Soup
The Zucchini Tomato Soup is irresistible, it’s sweet with a little tartness from the fresh tomatoes. In addition, it is very creamy, the grey zucchini absorbs all the garlicky tomato goodness. The soup requires only 5 ingredients. Also, it is loaded with vitamins and huge chunks of soft, juicy grey zucchini. Also, I personally find the flavor and texture of grey zucchini more pleasant than the regular zucchini. Similarly, I think it has more body, it’s not that watery, also it’s more chewy and hearty.
This soup is a very nice way to celebrate and use summer produce. I am sure everyone gets now CSAs full of tomatoes and hopefully grey zucchinis. I highly recommend hitting your local Farmer’s Market and find some grey zucchini’s for this recipe. The taste and texture is milder than regular zucchini, and I think this recipe is much better with them. You will definitely need some crusty bread on the side to dip into that creamy tomato goodness.
Can you freeze Zucchini Tomato Soup
Yes. I recommend using quart bags for this soup. First, use a cup to transfer the soup from the pot into the bag. Then, squeeze out excess air and seal the bags. The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. To thaw the soup, remove it from freeze the night before serving, or put the sealed soup bag in warm water to thaw it faster.
Looking for more comforting soup recipes? Check these out
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat
Zucchini Tomato Soup
- 1 sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 grey zucchini (medium size)
- 3 tomatoes (cored)
- 1 cup heavy cream (heated in the microwave)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the zucchini, cut in halves and chop or cut into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until it just starts to turn golden brown, 2 - 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and garlic and cook until the zucchini starts to brown about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a blender or food processor, puree the tomatoes.
- Add the tomato puree to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and add the warm heavy cream. Give it a good stir, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.