Slow Cooker Taco Soup is made hassle-free with this easy recipe! It is a great freezer meal you can enjoy anytime! Have a Tex-Mex kind of night with this!
It is soup weather and if you are running out of ideas, then, here is another one to add to your menu! Try it along with other Mexican favorites like Mexican Wedding Cookies, Mexican Black Bean Salad, and Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Taco Soup can be first prepared in the morning and by the time you are ready for dinner, it will be, too! That is the magic of the slow cooker. It allows you to do other things while it cooks dinner!
This dish is what I make when I am craving for the traditional taco, but at the same time, I want comfort that a soup brings. It is like two dishes in one special recipe.
With this dish, I no longer have to assemble in separate shells to make tacos. Instead, everything is served in one pot.
Another thing that I like about this is that it is rich in flavor from all the different veggies, legumes, and protein as well as herbs, spices, and seasonings. It is so hot and festive that it counters the cold winter night so effectively!
What is Taco Soup?
It is the soup version of the filling in a traditional taco, minus the tortilla. It has peppers, chilis, beans, corn, tomatoes, ground beef, and various spices that constitute the taco, but the broth is added.
How to Make Taco Soup:
- Sauté: In a skillet, brown the meat in olive oil. Even when not thoroughly cooked, it is fine because it will still be cooked in the crockpot anyways. You can also include the onions and cook until they turn soft. Sautéing these first imparts flavors but you can skip this part if you wish. Drain any excess fat.
- Slow cook: Place all the ingredients in the crockpot. Cover, then, set on HIGH to cook for about 4 hours, or on LOW to cook for 6 to 7 hours.
- Serve: Once done, ladle servings into bowls. Garnish with your favorite toppings then, serve!
Great Toppings Ideas:
Try any, or a combination, of these suggested toppings:
- Cheese: Try Monterey Jack, Cotija, or Cheddar
- Sour cream, lime juice, or Greek yogurt
- Crush corn tortilla or corn chips
- Chopped cilantro
- Black olives
- Red onions
- Pico de Gallo
- Avocado slices or guacamole
Can I make Taco Soup in the Instant Pot?
Yes! And it is equally easy to use the IP. Check out this Instant Pot Taco Soup recipe in the blog.
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: Cool it completely before transferring it into an airtight container. You can keep it refrigerated for a week.
- Freezer: Freeze it in freezer bags with the air squeezed out. Consume within 3 months. Thaw it first overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- To reheat: Put thawed soup in a pot and reheat on the stove.
- This recipe has a stovetop version that you can also check out in case the stove is all you have.
- The ground beef can be substituted with ground chicken, turkey, or pork.
- Sautéing helps render the fat in the ground meat. But, if you use lean meat, there would be less fat to discard and hence, less flavor that goes along with the discarded fat.
- After sautéing, you may keep the meat in the fridge and cook in the crockpot a day later as a make-ahead procedure.
- Since I love homemade seasonings, here is the taco seasoning recipe that I use often in my recipes.
- Remember to always use low-sodium broth in soups. It is easier to add saltiness than to lessen it. The amount of the broth is up to you depending on how thick you want this dish to be.
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 can 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 can 4.5 oz diced green chilies
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 can 15.5oz black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can 15.5oz pink beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can 15.5oz whole kernel corn (drained)
- 4 cups beef broth (adjust based on how thick you want the soup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- Sour cream
- Cotija cheese
- Sliced jalapeños
- Corn chips
- Lime wedges
- Chopped parsley
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the beef and do not move it for about 2-3 minutes, to get a nice sear on it.
- Start breaking apart the beef with a wooden spoon and continue cooking until no longer pink. Drain excess fat, and transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot. Cover, then, set on HIGH to cook for about 4 hours, or on LOW to cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve hot and garnish with your favorite toppings.