No Refined Sugar Banana Bread is loaded with cashews and oatmeal, then covered in an optional citrusy grapefruit glaze.
No Refined Sugar Banana Bread
This No Refined Sugar Banana Bread is a healthier take on the old classic recipe that we all love. It still maintains all the banana flavor, without the extra calories from sugar, butter or oil. The bread is packed with cashews that have been grinded to an almost flour like consistency. Also, the cashews definitely make it more dense. In addition, the honey adds just the right amount of sweetness and actually gives the bread a stickier consistency that I love.
I feed good enough to feed this no refined sugar banana bread to my toddler. He happily nibbles on it in the morning as a nice change from his usual oatmeal. Similarly, the juicy blueberries are bursting with flavor, and add an overall nice and pleasing color. To brightened the palette, I have whipped a grapefruit glaze that enveloped the banana bread in a sweet thin blanket. This is the only place where sugar was used, and you can totally skip it if you want to keep it completely sugar free. The citrus addition is nice and refreshing, the fragrance of it is enough to make my stomach growl in the morning.
Why You’ll Love This No Refined Sugar Banana Bread:
- Firstly, it is rich and moist this is a show stopper dessert.
- Also, if you love banana this desert is a great reflection of that.
- In addition, it’s a perfect alternative to use ripe bananas.
- Can be made 1 or 2 days in advance so you don’t have to worry about a last minute dessert.
How Long Will No Refined Sugar Banana Bread Stay Fresh?
The Bread can be stored wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for about 4-5 days.
What kind of loaf pan should I use to bake Banana Bread?
I have this non-stick 9×5 Inch loaf pan and I love it.
How to Freeze the Banana Bread
First, cool the bread completely and fully wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly. After that, wrap in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing. You can also freeze individual slices.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Total time: 1 hr
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 ripe bananas - mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 container honey yogurt (or 3/4 cup of any other yogurt)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp. melted butter (for greasing the pan)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan.
- Grind the oatmeal and cashews separately, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cashews, oatmeal and bananas; add the eggs, yogurt and honey, with a spatula mix until well incorporated. Fold in flour, baking powder, when all mixed in fold in carefully the blueberries.
- Bake for 40-50min or until a tooth stick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean or with just a few crumbles on.
- Let cool completely before glazing.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and grapefruit juice, mix until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake, let it harden before serving.