Mini Russian Pancakes “Oladii”
Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 04:18 pm
A beloved and sweet breakfast of mini russian pancakes “oladii” that are dense, chewy, fluffy and delicious. Served with your favorite jam or sauce.
When I was in high school and even through college I used to skip breakfast. As strange as it may sound, eating or drinking something that early in the day used to make me feel sick. But even during those times, I could never turn down a batch of homemade mini russian pancakes with homemade jam. These fluffy clouds of dough are very popular in Eastern Europe. We usually serve them with sour cream, jam or preserves.
You can serve them with your favorite toppings: peanut butter and jelly, whipped cream, maple syrup, or just keep it simple with a good jam that you will smoother on top of the mini russian pancakes.
Mini Russian Pancakes "Oladii"
- 2 cups white all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cups kefir (or whole fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup canola oil
- jam (to serve)
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix until combined, slowly add the kefir or milk while mixing. Whisk until the mixture is combined and without any lumps. The mixture must be a little thinner than sour cream.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place a large skillet on the stove at medium heat. When the skillet is hot add the oil and wait for the oil to heat up, about 30 seconds. When the oil is hot, using a soup spoon scoop the pancake batter into the skillet, 1 soup spoon per pancake. After you filled the skillet, cover with a lead and cook until golden brown, about 1½ minutes. Remove the lid, flip pancakes on the other side, cover again and cook for about 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Place on a serving plate and repeat the steps with the remaining batter.
- If you want the pancakes flatter and softer add a little more milk, 25-50 ml at a time.
- If the pancakes absorbed the oil from the skillet, add more oil as needed.
- Serve the pancakes warm with jam.
CommentsLeave a reply