Loaded Vegan Mashed Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Sharing my go to recipe for Loaded Vegan Mashed Potatoes and the secret ingredient I use to make them creamy, rich and buttery.
This post may contain affiliate links at NO extra cost to you, I just like sharing products that I love and worked for me.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes are my comfort food of choice, you won’t even be able to say that these are vegan! Rich, buttery, just how mashed potatoes should taste! I am a self proclaimed mashed potato lover, as it is the food that reminds me so much of my childhood. Since almost half a year I follow a vegan diet, I learned to customize my favorite dishes into vegan alternatives. Chunky Vegan Mashed Potatoes is our side dish of choice many times, and sometimes it’s even served as a main meal, when I go crazy and load it with many delicious veggies.
- If you use organic potatoes, you can leave the peel on, make sure you clean it very well. This will add some nice texture to the potatoes. If you are looking for super creamy potatoes, in that case peel them. I prefer mine creamy and chunky at the same time.
- Use vegan butter, don’t shy away from it, it will add that delicious buttery taste we all love in mashed potatoes
- Vegan Mayo – is the secret weapon to create creamy and rich Vegan Mashed Potatoes, a few tablespoons go a long way
- Keep some of the water in which you boiled the potatoes, when you mash them, you can add a little to make them softer
- Using unflavored, unsweetened soy milk and soy creamer will add extra creaminess as well
Toppings for Loaded Vegan Mashed Potatoes:
- Caramelize some onions and bell peppers until they are browned and soft and mix them into the Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Caramelized mushrooms, onions and a bit of truffle oil to add amazing flavor and also make the dish more gourmet
- Caramelized jalapeño peppers, black pepper and vegan cheese – for Peppery Cheesy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Green scallions and olive oil for a fresh taste, can be served with freshly sliced avocado drizzled with olive oil and sea salt
- Mashed cannellini beans mixed in, for a protein boost
- Caramelized onions and garlic with fresh rosemary
Looking for a Non – Vegan version? Check my Chunky Mashed Potatoes!
- 3 lbs russet or Idaho potatoes, washed well but not peeled*
- 5 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter, softened
- 3 - 4 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 cup soy unsweetened/unflavored creamer, warmed in the microwave for 40 seconds
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut the potatoes into halves, this will help the potatoes boil quicker.
- Place the washed potatoes into a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 30 - 40 minutes. To check if the potatoes are done, insert a knife or a fork into the center, the potatoes should be soft but not falling apart.
- Once done, drain the water (save some in a cup), place the pot over low heat and add the butter and half of the warm soy creamer to the pot.
- Using a wire masher, mash the potatoes until almost smooth, leaving some chunks. Stir in the vegan mayo until fully combined.
- Add the rest of the warm creamer little by little until you get to the desired consistency of the potatoes, and stir. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust.
- If you want the potatoes more creamy, stir in a little more warm creamer or the saved boiled water from the potatoes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with desired toppings and a drizzle of olive oil.
- For loaded vegan mashed potatoes, at this point stir in desired mix-ins.
Loaded just how I love them!