BBQ Chicken Enchiladas stuffed with mushrooms and jalapenos are the ultimate comfort food. Easy to make in the slow cooker, this is a perfect weeknight family dinner.
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas with Mushrooms
These BBQ Chicken Enchiladas are stuffed with slow cooked chicken and soaked in sweet BBQ sauce. A mixture of sauteed mushrooms, jalapeno and onions is added as well. Topped with an amazing BBQ enchilada sauce, sliced jalapenos, chopped parsley and an ocean of cheese, these BBQ Chicken Enchiladas are comfort food at it’s best.
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas is an easy to make dinner, while the slow cooker does most of the work. All you have to do is stuff the tortillas, and cook the jalapeno mushrooms mixture, which only takes 10 minutes. Then roll the tortillas, top them with enchilada sauce, cheese and bake. The enchilada sauce is also delicious, it absorbs all the liquid from cooking the chicken in the slow cooker. As a result, you will have a meal full of flavors for family to enjoy.
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas Recipe Tips:
- I like to make this recipe with chicken breast, but you can also use boneless/skinless chicken thighs or pork.
- Once you start shredding the chicken, add as much sauce as needed to make it moist, but not soggy.
- You can add even more garlic, or if you please less, I personally love garlicky meals, so the more the merrier for me.
- For a spicier kick, add 1-2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes.
- You can adjust the taquitos liking as you prefer, you can skip the corn and just add cheese. You can also add chopped bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Crockpot – I cooked the chicken in the slow cooker first, but you can save some time by using rotisserie chicken.
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas topping suggestions:
- Cheddar cheese or American cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Dollop of sour cream
- Crema fresca
- Fresh salsa
- Chopped jalopenos and guacamole.
How to freeze BBQ Chicken Enchilada:
To freeze, transfer the mixture to a buttered 9-by-13-inch freezer-to-oven baking dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3-4 months. Bake, frozen and covered with foil, at 350°F, for 30-40minutes.
Love Slow Cooker Recipes? Check these out:
- Corned Beef Sandwiches
- French Dip Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham with Orange Glaze
- Pot Roast with Red Wine
- Asian Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 5 hours 30 minutes Total time: 6 hrs
- 3 chicken breast (boneless and skinless)
- 2 ½ cups barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 medium size flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups slow cooker stock (leftovers from cooking the chicken)
- 10 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 sliced jalapeno
- Place chicken breast on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of barbecue sauce, chicken stock, paprika, salt, pepper and minced garlic, whisk a little and add the mixture to the slow cooker. Close the slow cooker and cook for 5 hours.
- Once the chicken breasts have cooked, remove from the slow cooker and place in a deep dish. Shred it using a fork and mix in ½ cup of barbecue sauce and a few tablespoons of the stock from the slow cooker to make the meat succulent and juicy. Save the rest of the slow cooker stock.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil to a medium skillet over medium heat, once the oil is hot add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown on the edges. Add the chopped mushrooms and jalapeno pepper, season with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil to a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Add slow cooker stock, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, salt and dried oregano. Stir to combine, adjust for seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
Assembling & Baking:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare two medium baking dishes, that would fit 4 enchiladas each, or one large baking dish (9x13) that would fit 8 enchiladas.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Set one tortilla on a plate, spread it with 1 tablespoon of sauce, top it with some of the slow cooker barbecue chicken and a few tablespoons of the mushrooms and jalapeño mixture, and a little grated mozzarella cheese.
- Roll up the tortilla to contain the filling inside and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Once all the tortillas are aligned into the baking dish, pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas, distributing evenly and top with the remaining grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and broil for 2-3 minutes at the end. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeno. Serve!