Arugula Salad is a light side dish that will go well with anything that you serve during the hot summer days. This salad is hit served on its own, or as a side dish.
This light and refreshing salad is a great addition to your summer fare that you and your friends will enjoy during hot summer outings! You will have a hit if you pair it with Lemon Pepper Chicken, Garlic Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and Ambrosia Salad for dessert!
Arugula Salad Recipe
Arugula Salad is light and peppery. But with the addition of strawberry, creamy avocado, and cherry tomatoes it turns this simple leafy green salad into a sumptuous fare that will wow your friends. The crunch and buttery taste of the pine nuts adds another textural dimension to this dish! Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano completes it beautifully.
We also love the simple but flavourful dressing that goes with it. The combination of the fruity grape vinegar and the tang of the lemon juice give it the added zeal!
You should choose the freshest arugula, strawberries, and avocados when you are making this side dish. Nothing beats fresh ingredients! The pine nuts are a bit expensive but all worth it for the added value to your salad.
Our friends love this recipe so much and the surprise that the strawberry and avocado bring to it. They never fail to compliment us whenever we serve it!
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF ARUGULA?
Arugula is high in fiber and antioxidants. One of the most important antioxidant in the leafy greens is Vitamin C which promotes tissue health. Another antioxidant is Vitamin A which supports immune function and eye health.
Other benefits of arugula are calcium for the bones, potassium which is good for muscle contraction, Folate for pregnant women and Vitamin K, which is good for blood coagulation.
You can certainly eat this green every day! Since it supports liver health because of all the fiber in the greens, it would only benefit your health! Just toss it with olive oil and lemon juice and you can enjoy these nutritious greens daily.
IS SPINACH OR ARUGULA BETTER FOR YOU?
Both greens are healthy. Spinach has a slight edge because of the additional minerals found in them like magnesium, manganese, and iron. Spinach also has a darker color, therefore is more nutritious. You can certainly use both to make this recipe.
HOW DO YOU PREPARE ARUGULA SALAD?
- Just wash, cut prepare the ingredients and combine together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Then, just add together all the ingredients for the dressing in a bottle and shake!
- Combine, toss and serve.
HOW DO YOU GET THE BITTERNESS OUT OF ARUGULA?
You can take care of that by adding olive oil and lemon juice and let it sit for half an hour. The greens will wilt a little bit but I can assure you that you will enjoy the lemony and peppery taste as a result!
WHAT DOES ARUGULA SALAD TASTE LIKE?
Arugula is peppery and resembles the taste of iceberg and romaine lettuce. With the rest of the ingredients included in this recipe, like strawberry, avocado, and pine nuts, it could only be fresh and nutritious!
HOW DO YOU SERVE ARUGULA SALAD?
- You can toss all the salad ingredients in a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. You can also serve the dressing on the side.
- Serve it as a main dish, add some chickpeas, shrimp, or chicken for extra protein.
- Or serve it as a side dish as is, with some toasted bread on the side and some olive oil for dipping.
Any leftover Arugula Salad can be stored in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Whether it was tossed with the dressing or not, it can only be eaten the following because arugula tends to wilt fast.
- Use only the freshest ingredients the Arugula Salad for maximum value.
- You can prepare the dressing ahead of time.
- During a party bring out only the amount that you need and toss the salad and dressing together.
- If you have a hard time looking for arugula, you can substitute spinach with it.
- The garlic for the dressing should be freshly minced for maximum flavor.
- Use fresh herbs like the oregano that you need in this dressing, whenever you can.
Watch Recipe Video:
Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 15 mins
- 6 cups arugula (washed and dried)
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1 avocado (sliced or cut into chunks)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (shreds)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grape vinegar
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add Dressing ingredients to a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk with a fork to combine.
- Combine all salad ingredients, except cheese, in a large bowl, add dressing, toss to combine, top with parmesan shreds and serve.